Not much of a dieter but here

artgoddess
artgoddess Posts: 25 Member
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all, I found this site when searching free apps on my new smart phone. I'm a 40 y/o mom of two and I'm currently the heaviest I have ever been. I forget and then I download photos from our family at the zoo or something and I see myself and it bothers me. I have not had much experience with dieting in the past, but th e few times I did try to stick with a diet and exercise routine it really worked. So here's hoping I can at least get healthier by logging my food and exercise. Already today I skipped chocolate for a treat and had a hand full of blueberries instead just because I knew what the chocolate would do to my calorie intake for the day.

Replies

• tompetty
    tompetty Posts: 41 Member
    Yay! This is a GREAT site, with so many friendly and encouraging people. And as you've already figured out-- it's just knowing in the back of your head that you have a solid number you can't go over for calories that really helps.
    Good luck in you journey!!
  • Greetings and welcome i'm so happy you found the site. You are going to love it more and more everyday, you know there is just something so powerful in seeing it on paper and being accountable. When I log my calories it is truly a motivator to make better choices because I know if I don't i'm gonna feel yucky about it later. Best wishes to you sis!
  • robeeen
    robeeen Posts: 15
    You can do it. Just log everything, be accurate, and login to your app every day. Even if you're over, log it. I go over, but most days I go under, and it lets me know how I did for the week. Don't lie to it. Add every single thing that goes in your mouth. It will get easier and easier, and keep thinking about how it will feel when people are shocked at how different you look. You CAN do it.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    You can do this!!! You will love this site. I am 40 also and a Mom of 2 kiddos. Add me as a friend if you like!
  • dagwoods
    dagwoods Posts: 2 Member
    You sound very much like me! This is my first posting, even though I've been lurking around for awhile. I think logging food and exercise will really help, too. Welcome!
  • artgoddess
    Thanks everyone! Going out to dinner tonight with another family so that will be the real test if I'm going to committ...ha! Mexican food, and really good Mexican food too.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    I was always taught if you go out to eat, ask for a box right away put half in the box then your not tempted to eat it.. however I cant say I always ask for the box right away but try and only eat half.
  • artgoddess
    that's a great idea about the box.

I cleaned my house top to bottom (company coming over and all) and I found I could count that as exercise. 60 minutes of cleaning gave me an extra 200 calories! So if I stay away from the chips and salsa I should be good with a margarita and fluatas or chile relleno ala carte.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Welcome! :flowerforyou:

-and guess what, you're exactly where you belong.... because the majority of us here are not "dieters" either - we have changed our eating habits for the better, increased our activity levels and are just generally improving our lifestyles all the way around for a better forever!

:smile:
  • atlamy
    atlamy Posts: 3
    Hooray for you on skipping the chocolate and heading for blueberries instead (as a fellow chocolate lover, I know that's HARD)!

I'm the same as you--I'm just going along, all skippy and happy, until I saw a picture of myself (and occasionally a glimpse in a full length mirror). The denial was pretty bad for a long time, and now I've got a long way to go.

And diets! Bleh. Who needs those party pooper things? Every certified personal trainer I've talked to in my life (and I've talked to many, off and on) all say it's about lifestyle choice, not diets, that make or break a person's ability to get fit and healthy. So you're on the right track--down with diets! Up with choosing blueberries over chocolate!

And this site seems pretty frickin' awesome, with lots of supportive and cool people to encourage and cheer you/me/us along. Welcome--you can do it! :-)
  • artgoddess
    thanks ladies! Congrats on the upcoming nuptials, wolf!

I agree about the lifestyle choice vs. dieting thing. I have pretty much known that in my heart for my whole life, just that before I had kids or before I turned 30, changing the way I eat seemed like such a drag! But now that I'm a mom I've already made better choices (for the most part). I always have fruit and carrots in the house for a healthy snack because I want my kids to eat that way. Time to have carrots instead of chips for me now too. I went from fast food lunch 2 times a week when I wasn't a mom yet, to making it a once a month treat. Heck I quit smoking when I became a mom too. So all that in account it really shouldn't be that much more difficult to continue the trend and be even healthier.
  • Would love to support you as you go, and would welcome any support you can offer. Feel free to friend me.
This discussion has been closed.