Question RE: What to order at Greek Restaurant

Options
I'm going to a Greek restaurant for dinner tonight. What do I order that is healthy?

Replies

• fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Gyro's aren't too bad. tzatziki sauce is really goo for you just put on the side. make it even better by getting rid of the pita and having a gyro salad.

if the restaurant does not have a website you can try looking up common Greek dishes online t see what will fit best into your calorie count. good luck and enjoy!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Get a greek salad, dressing on the side. And add either chicken souvlaki or gyro meat.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Souvlaki!! Chicken or lamb kabobs are excellent calorie-wise. There is also falafel, hummus, roasted vegetables, stewed eggplant dishes. If you can avoid the pizza and gyros, chances are you'll do pretty good. (gyros are swimming in grease). Another trick I use if I'm not sharing a salad, is to ask for dressing on the side so I can control how much goes on the salad.

Here's a link in case you wanted to see one. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0813/is_9_27/ai_66664739/

"A typical order of chicken kebobs will run you only 260 calories, eight grams of fat (two of them saturated plus trans), and 370 milligrams of sodium. What's more, the skewers often yield about two-thirds of a cup of vegetables, not counting the usual side dishes like green beans or carrots.

When you add rice, the numbers climb to just 500 calories and 14 grams of fat (five of them saturated plus trans)--about the same as a grilled chicken breast plus vegetables and a baked potato. For a restaurant meal, that's hard to beat (though 1,050 mg of sodium is nothing to boast about)."