Need a jogging workout for today!

Options
I am primarily a swimmer but I try to jog once a week. It got to the point where I could do a good 4-mile jog... and then I got pregnant and went to just swimming. I've been back to jogging for about 8 weeks now and usually run about 1.25 miles at a 12-minute pace to warm up, rest to stretch, about mile of one-minute sprints and one-minute steady pace, rest to do sit-ups and some arm free weights, and then about 1.5 miles at a 11-minute or 12-minute pace. I have liked this because it keeps my heart rate up for a good 45 minutes to an hour and I don"t get bored like I often do when running.

BUT (a) I am near my goal weight and want to focus on what I can do rather than losing weight (b) I would like to train to do a half-marathon next February, and (c) I am getting bored of that workout. I could easily give suggestions about swimming workouts to someone in my position but I am at a loss for what I should jog if I can only do it once a week. Should I do a varied workout with sprints and inclines? Or a steady distance jog with my eye on that half-marathon in 13 months?

I should add that I will probably switch to running 2 or 3 times a week during the summer when I have more time and my little one is big enough to fit in the jogging stroller we have. So I need something that will have me in a good position to train over the summer, I guess?

Thanks!

Replies

• charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time to train for 1/2 - I love the schedule on fitnessmagazine.com - there is a beginner and an intermediate. They both are an 8 week program and I used the beginner last year and ran my first 1/2!!!

Sounds like you need something different for today though. I'm heading out to the treadmill today to do 2/1 program. I do 5 min warm up and then go very fast for 1 min, fast for 1 minute and light jog for 1 min. I'll do that for 1/2 hour or so today depending on how my body feels, it's been a long week :)

Have fun!
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time to train for 1/2 - I love the schedule on fitnessmagazine.com - there is a beginner and an intermediate. They both are an 8 week program and I used the beginner last year and ran my first 1/2!!!

Sounds like you need something different for today though. I'm heading out to the treadmill today to do 2/1 program. I do 5 min warm up and then go very fast for 1 min, fast for 1 minute and light jog for 1 min. I'll do that for 1/2 hour or so today depending on how my body feels, it's been a long week :)

Have fun!

Yeah, I am giving myself plenty of time because I am just not a runner. It took me about 6 months to get to the point where I could do 4 miles in one go!

That sounds like a fun, not-boring workout. Maybe I should just focus on having fun while getting the running time in for now...