Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Eating healthy and TOM

This is my first TOM in my new lifestyle. Even when I went through my HUGE weight loss 4 years ago (90 lbs ... gained 40 back) I would either lay in a ball on my bed eating chocolate or soak in a tub ... eating chocolate. I am determined to get through this with little to no chocolate support! So far today I've managed ... but the day's still young and the cramps haven't fully kicked yet....
Any tips on how to do this??? I don't want to derail all my work these last 2 weeks just because Mother Nature is kicking my uterus!

Replies

• maybe try one piece of dark chocolate? it's better for you than milk chocolate. or maybe a chocolate covered strawberry with only a little chocolate? or fat free frozen yogurt with chocolate chips? it's all about portion control, don't deprive yourself! you can indulge a little :)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Take some pain reliever for the cramps, drink lots of water, and go for walks.... ? IDK stay away from the chocolate. :) You can do this. You'll live. If you can't stay away from the chocolate try some popcorn, mini chocolate chips, and dried cranberries mixed together :)
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    This is my first cycle as well since I changed my lifestyle. Mother Nature thought she would be humorous and visit me right in the middle of my Zumba class. So far, I haven't had too many cravings and such but I am up two pounds which isn't sitting well with me because my weigh in is on Monday.

Good luck in the coming week. I would allow yourself one treat. I love the mini size peppermint patties. They are lower in fat and calories and are soooo tasty. :)
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    This is my first TOM in my new lifestyle. Even when I went through my HUGE weight loss 4 years ago (90 lbs ... gained 40 back) I would either lay in a ball on my bed eating chocolate or soak in a tub ... eating chocolate. I am determined to get through this with little to no chocolate support! So far today I've managed ... but the day's still young and the cramps haven't fully kicked yet....
    Any tips on how to do this??? I don't want to derail all my work these last 2 weeks just because Mother Nature is kicking my uterus!

Have healthier chocolate alternatives available. I personally keep deep Chocolate Vitatops, chocolate banana smoothies, or have a cup of hot chocolate. After a while, you will start to enjoy eating healthily even during "that time". It used to be what hurled me off the wagon every time I would start to make a change. Now, I plan for it and things go alot more smoothly. Have things you crave, just in moderation and try to get the healthiest version you can. Also drink LOTS and LOTS of water. That will keep the bloating down.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Smart ones have these little desserts now...they are about 170 calories for Reese's cup dessert and 200 for brownie a la mode. They are awesome and all I have to do is ride the bike for 20 min to work them off. :) That's what I do when mother nature comes calling.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    take some motrin or aleve BEFORE the cramps start.....think back as to "when" the cramps hit you the worst, mine are day two - so I take motrin that day. The thought of exercise doesn't compute HOWEVER the moving of muscles and getting oxygen into your body as you exercise AND releasing of endorphins (natural happy drug) helps the cramps go away faster, the endorphins get rid of the "blues" and eliminate the cravings. Keep your calories logged in and the exercise will allow you to eat more - cuz I'm hungry during my TOM. 100 calorie packs are a life saver for a chocolate fix, but I've found that going for a walk tends to lift my mood and curb the cravings. Laying around in a ball, makes me feel sorry for myself and we all know where that leads.....snacking
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    I like the Laughing Cow ice cream sandwiches. Mint chocolate is my favorite. I also drink a lot more hot tea during that time. I have a pretty big selection of teas here. A coconut chai with cream (I still do powdered creamer) and stevia type of sweatener is my favorite. I'm in the transition of switching to more natural things but I still so the sweateners. There is a chocolate tea I've been meaning to buy. Or, if you're like my husband, you may prefer coffee. A good mocha?
    I also don't weight myself but I can tell that I gain weight during that time as well. It bothers me a little and than I take comfort in the fact that I will feel that much slimmer the following week when it all comes off.
  • Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    take some motrin or aleve BEFORE the cramps start.....think back as to "when" the cramps hit you the worst, mine are day two - so I take motrin that day. The thought of exercise doesn't compute HOWEVER the moving of muscles and getting oxygen into your body as you exercise AND releasing of endorphins (natural happy drug) helps the cramps go away faster, the endorphins get rid of the "blues" and eliminate the cravings. Keep your calories logged in and the exercise will allow you to eat more - cuz I'm hungry during my TOM. 100 calorie packs are a life saver for a chocolate fix, but I've found that going for a walk tends to lift my mood and curb the cravings. Laying around in a ball, makes me feel sorry for myself and we all know where that leads.....snacking

Yeah, mine are worst the first day ... I'm doing something I wouldn't normally do ... Spring Cleaning! I've had motrin in my system since I realized my "gift" arrived and have been sucking down water like I'm in a desert! I also have the York peppermint patty PIECES that I can have 50 and it's only about 170 calories ... Thank you everyone for the tips!