cholesterol

Options
I have been told by my doctor that my cholesterol is borderline. can anyone tell me what is a daily recommended intake of cholesterol as i am not sure. thanks

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Lots of info here: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/What-Your-Cholesterol-Levels-Mean_UCM_305562_Article.jsp

Typically it's recommended that we stay under 300mg dietary cholesterol per day, but your doctor may recommend an even lower limit depending on your condition
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes, mine is too high too 'and I am on crestor. Changed my diet in the last 5 months and now I am consistantly below 100 mg a day, and mostly that's fish, cheese and chicken. Give me another 6 months and I will fill you in what is happening to my level.
  • shellywoodworth
    shellywoodworth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    mine is too, and my doctor told me to take fish oil. I go back in two months to have it checked, so hopefully it works.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating old fashioned oatmeal and adding ground flaxseed to it? The flaxseed has omege 3's which help lower it. If you can eat as clean as you can and avoid processed foods. I'm trying to lower mine too and find I am always thinking about what I eat!:wink:
  • jknops2
    Options
    Yes, eat more soluble fiber, that seems to work. Up your intake of fiber to 30 or 40 gram aday, this decrease the absorbtion of cholesterol in your gut. Oats are good for this, so are apples, blueberries, etc. Secondly lower saturated fat intake. Your liver converts this to cholesterol, the less you eat the less your liver produces. Third, and the most important, loose weight and bring your BMI down to the low end of your normal range. That's all that I can distill from the literature about this.
  • jknops2
    Options
    Yes, eat more soluble fiber, that seems to work. Up your intake of fiber to 30 or 40 gram aday, this decrease the absorbtion of cholesterol in your gut. Oats are good for this, so are apples, blueberries, etc. Secondly lower saturated fat intake. Your liver converts this to cholesterol, the less you eat the less your liver produces. Third, and the most important, loose weight and bring your BMI down to the low end of your normal range. That's all that I can distill from the literature about this.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

According to what you are saying, I should have cholesterol levels that are astromically high since I eat a very high saturated fat intake. Instead, my cholesterol levels are quite the opposite. My current total cholesterol is 148 and that is eating about 65-70% fat (majority saturated fats).

Actually, the more fats and cholesterol we eat, the less the liver makes..............therefore naturally lowering cholesterol levels.

To the Original Poster: Please get this book and read it. It will change how you see food as we have been told. I think you and your doctor would be pleasantly surprised if you cut out the processed foods and focuses your eating on proteins, fats and green leafy vegetables.

High cholesterol is more due to low level inflammation, then eating too much fat. That inflammation is coming from eating a highly processed eating plan.

Fats Are Good for You: How Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Actually Benefit the Body
    Jon J. Kabara