Day 2 of pedometer challenge

Options
Sorry this is a little long, I babble...

Ok so I am bound and determined to get my pedometer to be accurate. Walking at work isn't bad since I can walk to cross streets that I can map, but if I walk at home I walk on a long windy road that doesn't have any landmarks or cross streets. So having an accurate pedometer is something I really want for those walks.

So, I entered my stride length last night which defintely accounts for why it was off yesterday.....my stride length is only 20 inches and I was using the default of 36. Opps, bit of a difference there! But today it said that I burned the right amount of calories (in agreement with MFP) but the distance was off (.986 compared to the 1.6 google maps said). I looked over the instructions again to make sure I had everything set right and I see the picture of how you're supposed to wear it. It says make sure it is closed as tight as possible on the waist band of your pants and as close to the crease line on your leg as possible....I guess so it can feel you leg moving or whatever it does.

The problem is, the man in the little drawing wearing the pedometer doesn't have a little tummy! If I put it on my waist band where it shows, the top of my pants roll down a little because of my tummy and the pedometer will eventually fall off.(A dilemme I can only tell here) Today I wore it on my waistband but over to the side closer to my back, which explains why it is off. With any other pants I can wear it on my front pocket and it should be in the right place, but the pants I wore today don't have pockets and I cannot always plan to only wear these pants on non-walk days. Any suggestions?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Sorry this is a little long, I babble...

Ok so I am bound and determined to get my pedometer to be accurate. Walking at work isn't bad since I can walk to cross streets that I can map, but if I walk at home I walk on a long windy road that doesn't have any landmarks or cross streets. So having an accurate pedometer is something I really want for those walks.

So, I entered my stride length last night which defintely accounts for why it was off yesterday.....my stride length is only 20 inches and I was using the default of 36. Opps, bit of a difference there! But today it said that I burned the right amount of calories (in agreement with MFP) but the distance was off (.986 compared to the 1.6 google maps said). I looked over the instructions again to make sure I had everything set right and I see the picture of how you're supposed to wear it. It says make sure it is closed as tight as possible on the waist band of your pants and as close to the crease line on your leg as possible....I guess so it can feel you leg moving or whatever it does.

The problem is, the man in the little drawing wearing the pedometer doesn't have a little tummy! If I put it on my waist band where it shows, the top of my pants roll down a little because of my tummy and the pedometer will eventually fall off.(A dilemme I can only tell here) Today I wore it on my waistband but over to the side closer to my back, which explains why it is off. With any other pants I can wear it on my front pocket and it should be in the right place, but the pants I wore today don't have pockets and I cannot always plan to only wear these pants on non-walk days. Any suggestions?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Your stride is not going to be the exact same every time, so you will always have some difference.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Um, I've worn mine on my underwear :laugh: The strides tend to be low if you wear it in a different place.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I would say if you wear it the same way each time you will at least have a reading that you can compare from day to day. And also if you wear it on a walk and then clock the distance you can check the accuracy. That way you would have an idea on how far you walked each day. This could then be compared to other days.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    They make wrist watch ones too..I saw some on amazon.com