My Polar FT4 Not Working!!

WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I can't get it to register my heart rate. It just says 00..never had a problem before and I JUST got this. What am i doing wrong? I put the strap where it needs to be.

I got it the past week and used it every workout..maybe a total of 5-6 hours worth.

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Have you wet down the sensors before sticking on the strap? Sometimes that's my issue. Just put a little water or spit on the sensors tuck it under your sports bra and the little heart should pop up.
    B
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Did you leave the decoder attached when not working out? my guess is the battery is dead
  • WalkingGirl1985
    YES!! I did that the first time and nada..put a little more water...and it worked!! :bigsmile:

Battery cant be dead..I just got it a few days ago and used up a few hours worth and what the thing said it was good enough 1 hr a day 7 d a week for 2 years.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    YES!! I did that the first time and nada..put a little more water...and it worked!! :bigsmile:

Battery cant be dead..I just got it a few days ago and used up a few hours worth and what the thing said it was good enough 1 hr a day 7 d a week for 2 years.

Yeah that's what generally happens with mine. I've had mine for over a year and use it a lot and my battery hasn't died yet. :) That water thing though is key. :) That and making sure it stays in place. As I've lost weight I've had to tighten the strap and it still becomes loose.
  • WalkingGirl1985

Yeah that's what generally happens with mine. I've had mine for over a year and use it a lot and my battery hasn't died yet. :) That water thing though is key. :) That and making sure it stays in place. As I've lost weight I've had to tighten the strap and it still becomes loose.

That's a good way to tell if you lost more inches. :happy:
  • Argh I'm having the same problem!! Didn't know leaving the sensor attached to the strap would drain the battery, but it had worked for almost a year now no problem. Wetting it doesn't seem to matter now, it still gives the 00. Anyone know how to change these batteries? :P
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Argh I'm having the same problem!! Didn't know leaving the sensor attached to the strap would drain the battery, but it had worked for almost a year now no problem. Wetting it doesn't seem to matter now, it still gives the 00. Anyone know how to change these batteries? :P

Yes, according to the manual you are to detach the sensor from the chest strap when not in use. Its transmitting a signal if attached therefore draining the battery.

The batteries are simple to change and they are fairly basic CR1632 Lithium batteries (the little round flat ones).
  • Thanks for the tip! Good news is I washed the strap again and it seemed to work (for now). The transmitter battery is supposed to last 2 years but who knows how much I drained! Will keep this in mind now.
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    that happened to mine, i just printed out the form on the polar web site and sent it back and they fixed it and i had it back within a week and didn't cost me a cent. good luck its annoying when it doesn't work..
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    For any Polar user, be sure to read the ONLINE manual they reference in the one provided in the box because that has more detailed information on care, storage, washing, battery replacement, etc.
  • ieva015
    ieva015 Posts: 93 Member
    :noway: oh i ordered mine from ebay (yep, never doing this again) and only got it today. it doesn't work... done everything i needed to do but still shows 00 hr... :((
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    I can't get it to register my heart rate. It just says 00..never had a problem before and I JUST got this. What am i doing wrong? I put the strap where it needs to be.

I got it the past week and used it every workout..maybe a total of 5-6 hours worth.
    Stick the strap in the washing machine on a cool wash, do not use a softener in the machine. You need to do this every 5th or 6th time you wear it, so that all stale sweat gets removed. Ensure you rinse it off after EVERY session too, leave to dry on it's own.

If you do not do the above, sweat and salt builds up on the strap and inhibits its working mode.
  • I just bought mine and brought it home followed the directions and set up the watch. wet down the sensors and put it on and nothing! When i hit the button on the watch to start training I get 00 next to the heart. Its brand new!!!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    I have figured it all out and has worked. Thanks everyone. Now my battery is dead, and need them replaced.
  • lozb79
    lozb79 Posts: 2 Member
    I just got mine for Christmas (so it's brand new) and I can't get it to pick up my heart rate. I've wet the sensor pad, ensured it's tight, made sure its high enough...I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong :(
  • lozb79
    lozb79 Posts: 2 Member
    I ended up taking the battery out of the chest strap and putting it back in and it's working...yay!
  • Please help. My heath rate monitor isnt reading??? it shows the flashing heart but it still isnt doing anything other than showing "00". This happened last night after i changed the battery because they heart rate was way off. :cry:
  • fitbrit19
    fitbrit19 Posts: 55
    You can't leave the chest strap and the transmitter connected! It drains the battery! And just make sure you wet the strap thoroughly each time. I always left mine connected and killed the battery, but Polar sent me a new one! And you can always reset the transmitter by taking the battery out & letting it sit for at least 10 minutes!
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 121 Member
    You're also supposed to rinse out the strap after every use and wash it after every several workouts per the directions. If you dont you start to get wonky readings.
This discussion has been closed.