Anyone here a smoker or have quit smoking???

Options
2»

Replies

• bethann1976
    Options
    I quit by taking Chantix (aka Champix, depending on what country you live in). I know there are some horror stories out there about this medication, but for me, it was a miracle drug. Yes, I had some sleeping issues and some nausea, but I was only on the drug for 2 months and here it is 6 months later, I don't smoke.

I quit once before with the patch, it only lasted 10 months, and during those 10 months I thought about a cig every single day. That's not the case this time around.

Chantix is awesome. Give it a try and see if it'll work for you.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey and I just had my 25 year anniversary of quitting. Smoking was a huge mistake in my life, started on a dare and hooking me for 8 years.

When I quit, I had three weeks of really anxious/irritated feelings (a lot like PMS, but a little worse), but then, it was like a switch was turned on and all of a sudden, I was on an endorphin high that must have lasted a month!

Before I quit, I had a cold every 3 months. After... no colds for over a year.

Also, I had lots of people come up to me later and tell me that they weren't interested in hanging around with me until I quit. Lots of guys don't like kissing smokers, and I agree with them.

What you have to do is make a commitment, a strong one, to never pick up a cigarette again, ever. There has to be that final decision of "NEVER AGAIN" or it won't work. You have to mean it. Don't try to say "I can just have one". You can't.

You will find that within six months, you have more friends that don't smoke and it becomes so much easier to forget you ever had that nasty habit. You'll also notice that when you hang around smokers, the smoke particles stick to your hair and clothes. When I go to my (smoking) neighbours' house for a visit, I deliberately dress in clothes I can throw in the washing machine after I get back and I generally have a shower afterwards because the smoke stays in my hair and smells just horrible. Smokers generally have no clue that non-smokers smell the smoke so much more strongly than they do.

Best of luck. You can do it!
  • chopsusie
    Options
    I'm one of those people who can take them or leave them. Usually only smoke when I meet my husband for a drink on Friday after work. Thought I was doing great. Went to the doc to talk about surgery (new smaller boobs). Doc said he wouldn't do surgery unless I promised I wouldn't smoke for a month-not even one. He was more concerned about smoking than the weight. Haven't smoked since new years, but haven't gone out with hubbie either. Hope to stay quit after surgery. Doc said if you don't smoke for a month you're a non-smoker.
  • bethann1976
    Options
    I'm with the previous poster -- I had a cold (most often which turned into bronchitis) all the time. Since I quit, NADA! Also, I think as "reformed smokers," we are very sensitive to the smell of it. I will say, though, if I'm drinking, I enjoy the smell and will jokingly "sniff" a smoking friend, but never do I desire to actually smoke one myself.