Issues with self perception

Options
When I started my weight loss journey in March 2010 I was 120 pounds overweight. I have lost 80 pounds since then, and am still on track to lose the remaining 40 pounds. My problem exists when I look in the mirror - I still see the "old" me, which is starting to get a bit counterproductive, since one big impetus in my quest to lose weight was being able to look at myself in the mirror again.

Obviously, the empirical data (my weight and measurements) proves that I don't look like that anymore, along with the reactions of everyone around me. Yet why can't I see the difference in myself?

Does anyone else have this problem? Am I destined to a life of therapy to cure myself of this?

Replies

• Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    How long have you been overweight? Just relax - it has been not even one year since you started, and that is a lot of change. Wear clothes that fit nicely and look at yourself often - slowly you will get used to it... i think this is how it works:) Of course I have not been trough such a thing, but I think a life of therapy is not needed - only a life of healthy you!
  • Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm the same way! After I had my 2nd child I continued with the weight I lost with that pregnancy and ended up losing a total of 90 lbs. But no matter how small I was, and I WAS in a 2 piece ... I still saw myself dripping with fat. I stopped looking in the mirror for the longest time. THEN I started standing in front of the mirror naked or almost and looking until I saw my REAL body. Another thing that helped me was to take pictures from the neck down, when I looked at those pictures I saw a slender healthy body.
    What brought me here, is I gained 40 lbs of it back...
    You will get there ... it just takes time and a little bit of vanity!
  • fatreddhead
    Options
    I understand completely. I have lost 50 pounds already but when I look in the mirror I see no change at all. I know I have because my clothes fall off.. but I think Im just so used to seeing myself that large that I automatically see me 50 pounds ago.

I think that with time it will get better. I hope it will at least

:)
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! You are not alone! I think it takes quite a while for our brains to catch up. I look in the mirror and still see myself through the "fat girl" glasses. I've already lost 39 pounds. We're our own worst critics. Everyone tells me how good I look. In my head, I know I can't be "that" fat, if I'm wearing a size 6 jeans! I'm starting to come around and believe it...it's just taking time! And it will happen for you, too...just give it time!
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean.

I have lost 42 pounds slowly and I can see no difference and people have not commented I think because it has been so slowly.

I showed someone before pictures and they could not believe it even though they have seen me weekly for the the last 2 years.

The trousers I wear for walking my dogs used to be too small and are now falling off me so I have to wear a belt. So I know I am smaller but I just can't see it in the mirror.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do.

(See signature - I truly am a fat person living in a thin body now)

I look in the mirror and see the old me, I don't recognize myself in photos.

The majority of my lost weight has been gone for 4 years- I have no clue when I'll see myself as "me" again.
  • dkmfelts
    Options
    i dropped 70 lbs about 12 years ago (since then have put it all back on) and i had the same issue.... i still saw myself as huge.... now that i look back at those pictures i think wow... i was so thin.... i think that is part of my fear of losing the weight this time... i keep thinking about putting in all of that hard work and still not seeing in the mirror the me that i want to.... i have only known the me that i am most of my life... i definitely think that it is an inner struggle and not an outer struggle... you have to look in that mirror and tell yourself that you are beautiful and that you have worked hard and accomplished a ton and that you look great.... even when other people told me it still never changed anything... it has to be me that believes it....maybe a good thing to do is take some pics and then get out the old pics and compare them so that you can really see how much you have accomplished.... hang in there!!!!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 111 lbs, and youre right.......but my clothes convince me that I ve lost, and other peoples nice compliments...........
    I dont see my accomplishments, lol, but its great to be able to sit in a booth, or cross my legs without using a hand to help prop one up, loll...........
    give it time, you ll be there.............Lloyd
  • karlenasmith
    Options
    I have always looked in the mirror and seen a fat person even though I was thin till my mid 30s. I was told I am anorexic even though I am fat. Some people call it body dismorphic disorder. Not sure really, would like to be able to see myself as I really am. Totally understand where your coming from.
  • melusinagr
    melusinagr Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks all of you! You have made me feel better. I guess it is just another step on the weight loss journey. It is always good to know you aren't alone. =)