Diet Soda?

Options
Soooo... I personally am of the opinion that if you are dieting you should be drinking NO soda what so ever (at least that was a part of how I lost 50 lbs last time)... but I have been told that diet soda is ok .... what does everyone else practice/preach?

Replies

• jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I gave up sodas completely and have never felt better about it.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I would recommend no soda at all. The chemicals in it aren't good for you, and drinking it has been shown to increase people's appetite vs. not drinking it. That being said, if you are going to have a soda every once in a while, make it a diet over a regular.
  • sehncw99
    Options
    I am trying to give up soda completly too and only drink water, but I do occasionaly have a diet soda I personally don't think there is a problem with that.
  • la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I never frank diet pop so when I gave up regular I decided there was no point in switching to something with less calories but more bad things- aspertame, etc/ Give it all up if you can
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I would recommend no soda at all. The chemicals in it aren't good for you, and drinking it has been shown to increase people's appetite vs. not drinking it. That being said, if you are going to have a soda every once in a while, make it a diet over a regular.

I've read quite a few studies that verify that as well. You will have more cravings after drinking a diet drink because it's not real sugar so it won't satisfy the craving. Researchers say it is better to just drink ONE full sugar soda than to drink diet.

I also don't trust the chemicals. They do terrible things to the body!!! If an animal won't go near it, neither should you! Seriously!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I drink one mabey every other day.It has never increased my appetite or my cravings for sweets.Infact I cant remeber the last time I craved something sweet.But thats just me
  • midnightangelz
    Options
    I have gone to one diet caffine free soda with lunch and one with dinner. I can't completely give them up!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    soda is crappy for you, but if you drank all of your water for the day and you want to go a little nuts with some diet soda - be my guest :) I'm a firm believer that anything in moderation is fine.

Except for maybe rat poison.
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Personally I drink them either for lunch or for dinner, or for both...regularly. I can't give it up :( I also have never felt any additional cravings or found that drinking them has hindered my weight loss. It might not be true for some people, so I would just do what you feel would be most reasonable for your lifestyle change.
  • wilmelenne
    Options
    just stay off of soda and juice completely especially the diet ones. The artificial sweetner in the drinks actually make you hungrier and studies have shown that people have gained weight drinking diet drinks.

If that doesn't sway you off...there is chlorine in some artificial sweetners like Splenda to make sucralose, and in this form is actually pretty harmful to every aspect of the body. My biology professor used the metaphor (like a bomb going off internally)...

but you need to eat a lot of it for it to be that harmful...either way just thinking about it scares me..
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm not ready to give up diet soda yet. I do know that the chemicals in it are unhealthy, and overall I try to stay away from too much processed food. But I drink my daily water, and cut back on the coffee, so I think I've done myself more good than harm, diet soda included :smile:
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I just say no to ANY soda. I found that the Aspartame in diet sodas was giving me headaches and gave them up last year. Feeling much better for it, overall. Plus there is research to show that diet sodas can still effect your blood sugar.

Now I just drink tons of water and the occasional flavored, unsweetened seltzer water with a splash of juice. You can do it!
  • Heather_Jeanie
    Options
    soda is crappy for you, but if you drank all of your water for the day and you want to go a little nuts with some diet soda - be my guest :) I'm a firm believer that anything in moderation is fine.

Except for maybe rat poison.

Haha! Thx!
  • cathmcgarry
    cathmcgarry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've never liked diet soda, and have given up regular soda as there is no nutritional value. I basically stick with water; I bring a bottle with me everywhere (work, gym, shopping, etc). Since I've increased my water intake to 8-10 glasses a day, I don't really feel the need to have any kind of soda or other sugary beverage.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I stay away from soda completely. Not only is is horrible for you, it taste like crap! I also read that diet soda is worse then regular soda. Now I don't know if it's true! But I wouldn't be shocked.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am not ready to give up diet soda yet. Do I want to eventually? Sorta. I will drink it when I am out but I would like to get to a point where I don't have it in the house. I actually don't even drink it every day. But, when I need it, I drink it... it helps me curb snacking cravings when water just won't cut it.
  • BreeWilder
    BreeWilder Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Soda is bad for you. So are chips. And cookies and pizza and blah, blah, blah. But if I have had a great day and just really want a soda, I have one. Everything in moderation.
  • GoingToLose25
    Options
    Soda is bad for you no matter what, but diet soda is EVEN WORSE than regular soda for dieting because the artificial sweetener suppresses your serotonin levels making you stay hungry all day! Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that makes you feel happy and full. It's pretty silly to suppress that. Diet soda is also terrible for your teeth and causes all sorts of bad side effects. Drink water!!!

Here is an informative article that pretty much sums up all of the other things I have read about artificial sweetener.

http://www.mcmanweb.com/diet_coke.html
  • GoingToLose25
    Options
    Some things are not even good in moderation. For me - even a stick of Trident gum will give me a mild headache. Drink some diet soda every day and certain people can expect a migraine.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-4 litres if water a day. i have no issues with having a diet soda. sometimes i just want some and have one a day for a few days. then i go for a few weeks without them.

i'm not a big sugar person. salt is my weakness.