Big Man, Big Goals: 12mo=100lbs

Options
Hey all, Im Marc, just got started with my fiance on this calorie counting lifestyle....so far Im very excited. I will be losing 100 lbs within the next 12 months. I am about 6'3 and havent bought us a scale yet but last i knew i was floating around the 390-400lb mark. I have a very stocky frame and get around well, even have a pretty active job, lots of muscle but still more than enough fat obviously, most people guess I weigh around 300-340 (i dont correct them) but I am excited to drop some serious poundage with this new way of watching my diet on a daily basis. Oh and a question to any other big guys out there, my suggested caloric intake was 2,850/day......i tried this and it simply seemed too easy and lowered it to 2500, now I am at 2,000 as my daily goal. It says i burn 3500-3900 calories per day with a lightly active lifestyle. does this seem correct? hope to meet more of you all soon, signing off for now...
Marc

Replies

• imperfectlyhere
    Options
    WELCOME:)
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    Greetings Marc welcome to the site, you'll meet some truely awsome people here.
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site Marc!
  • thadeous
    Options
    I am 6'4" and have been making good progress at 3000 calories a day, and some exercise. I'm 310 lbs and need around 2800 calories a day just to stay alive. The only thing is, they have to be good, clean calories. And LOTS and LOTS of it as lean protein. I does seem like it's too easy, but we are, fat or not, big men who need a lot, haha.

I would agree with the ~3500 a day living a lightly active lifestyle. If your main method of weight loss for now is going to be caloric restriction, losing 100lbs in a year isn't really possible. even 2850 calories a day is most likely below your BMR and will simply leave your body and metabolism in a starving mode and you will never start to burn any fat.
  • RebeccaM2386
    Options
    Welcome
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site and a hearty, very warm welcome to the FIRST DAY of your ROAD to a HEALTHY BODY and a HEALTHY HEART!

You WILL meet your goal if:
    you accurately weigh & measure every single item that goes in your mouth 100% of the time

weigh in only once a week (at the same time of day, with similar clothing)

avoid alcoholic beverages (slows down the weight loss...big time)

60% of your lunch and dinner plate should be low calorie vegetables (preferably green ones)

record all your food/fluid intake on MFP every single meal/every single day...(to prevent your lost weight from sneaking back on, you must do this for the rest of your life). If you do not keep up with doing a food/exercise diary for life, you will end up like I did: 55 years of yo-yo dieter syndrome.

connect with others on this site that are here to help and support you in achieving your goals.

Add me as a friend if you would like.

Claire :)
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    GO TO: the nearest WalMart store
    BUY: a digital weigh scale of your choice (make certain it has a LITHIUM battery)
    a digital food scale (don't get the SHARPER IMAGE BRAND...defective)

Keep the food scale next to where you prepare your food. With the food scale keep:
    a set of 4 individual measuring spoons
    a set of 4 individual measuring cups
    a small straight blade spatula to level off excess quantities (always, always, always...an absolute must!)
    :smile:
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @ thadeous: at 2,000 calories a day i havent even been hungry........i still have calories left at the end of the day, its kind of strange
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    good luck with your weight loss. My hubby and I are also on a plan. He is 6'2'', currently 380lbs. We did see a weight loss doctor and she recommended 1800 cals as a daily goal, plus cardio 5 days a week, and lifting weights 3 days a week. So far he has done amazing on the plan, lost 12lbs in a week in a half. I am pretty sure if you stick to your plan it will take alot less time than 12 mo to drop 100 lbs. My hubby's goal is to drop 90 lbs in 90 days for a work challenge. Personally I think that's a bit optimistic, but with that much to lose, eating healthy, and working out, the weight is falling off of him. You may add me as a friend if you need any support or have ?'s for my hubby. He has an account on here, but mainly he tracks on paper. Good luck again, Bye!
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    GO TO: the nearest WalMart store
    BUY: a digital weigh scale of your choice (make certain it has a LITHIUM battery)
    a digital food scale (don't get the SHARPER IMAGE BRAND...defective)

Keep the food scale next to where you prepare your food. With the food scale keep:
    a set of 4 individual measuring spoons
    a set of 4 individual measuring cups
    a small straight blade spatula to level off excess quantities (always, always, always...an absolute must!)
    :smile:
    I totally agree, scale is a must and measuring cups. I have 3 identical sets for when A:one is in the wash, B: A child has turned it into a toy, and C: for measuring different types of ingredients for the same recipie w/o stopping to wash ie wet vs dry.
  • marc8686
    Options
    @ dwarfer, thanks for the comment, the other fellow confused me saying anything under 2800 calories a day or whatever would send my body into starvation mode, hearing a doctor gave a big guy an 1800 goal is refreshing. MFP suggested 2850/day for 2lbs per week but it was way too much, i never ate that many calories. i ended up coming down to 2000/day. glad you and ur hubby are doing well
  • MugetsuNoYoru
    Options
    First of all, Welcome! In the past year I have lost a little over a 100lbs and I'm currently working on my remaining 22lbs. I can tell you from experience that you should simply listen to what your body is telling you. I have found times when I simply didn't feel like I needed to consume the amount of calories stated in my log and there were also a few times when I went a little over my limit. Needless to say, things have still worked out just fine but don't get too overly zealous and reduce your intake too much or you won't give your skin enough time readjust leading to flaccidity. Even though I took things slow flaccidity is currently my biggest worry but then again I was not muscular to begin with the way you sound to be. Best of luck to you and just know that this is something that can definitely be done.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I'm 6'5", so my daily calorie goal is pretty high. With healthy eating I think it would be almost impossible to reach the calorie goal that MFP assigned to me. I think I average around 1800 calories a day, although I can't get an exact number from the reports that I have seen on this site.

I have calculated that I have gained the weight that I have by averaging 78 extra calories above needs on a daily basis for about 10 years. It is amazing what a few extra calories can do over the long run.

To help me, I bought this scale from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N07KUE/ref=oss_product

After seeing what a serving of cereal actually is I have abandoned it completely. I have also been surprised that using the actual serving size of peanut butter or cream cheese is just as enjoyable as what I had piled on before. If you buy a scale, try to get one that can measure in ounces and grams. It makes it much easier.

Good luck on your journey.
  • marc8686
    Options
    I'm 6'5", so my daily calorie goal is pretty high. With healthy eating I think it would be almost impossible to reach the calorie goal that MFP assigned to me. I think I average around 1800 calories a day, although I can't get an exact number from the reports that I have seen on this site.

I have calculated that I have gained the weight that I have by averaging 78 extra calories above needs on a daily basis for about 10 years. It is amazing what a few extra calories can do over the long run.

To help me, I bought this scale from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N07KUE/ref=oss_product

After seeing what a serving of cereal actually is I have abandoned it completely. I have also been surprised that using the actual serving size of peanut butter or cream cheese is just as enjoyable as what I had piled on before. If you buy a scale, try to get one that can measure in ounces and grams. It makes it much easier.

Good luck on your journey.
    thanks, ive been looking into a good scale, the one i currently have i used to use with protien powder, doesnt work real well with meats and stuff.
  • marc8686
    Options
    First of all, Welcome! In the past year I have lost a little over a 100lbs and I'm currently working on my remaining 22lbs. I can tell you from experience that you should simply listen to what your body is telling you. I have found times when I simply didn't feel like I needed to consume the amount of calories stated in my log and there were also a few times when I went a little over my limit. Needless to say, things have still worked out just fine but don't get too overly zealous and reduce your intake too much or you won't give your skin enough time readjust leading to flaccidity. Even though I took things slow flaccidity is currently my biggest worry but then again I was not muscular to begin with the way you sound to be. Best of luck to you and just know that this is something that can definitely be done.
    thanks for your support !
    Marc
  • marc8686
    Options
    lol i know you probably shouldnt weigh yourself every day, but i was excited and my first official weigh in was yesterday morning....hopped on and shows a 3 pound difference in 24 hrs !? lol assuming this is water weight fluxuating and what not but still excited!