Net cals?

Options
What the heck are net cals? I never really pay attention to them but would like to know what the heck they are?! :laugh:

Replies

• togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    they are the calories your body recognizes after you subtract your exercise calories from your intake calories
  • KatherineVictoria
    Options
    That is how many calories you have gained for the day. You may eat 1200, but because of exercise the total calories that stayed with you might only be 900 :) depending on how many you burn during your workout of course!
  • critter347
    critter347 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So at the end of the day, is the goal to have the net cals be in the negative to show that you've had deficient calories therefore you will lose weight? or is it supposed to be positive? if so how much,
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    So at the end of the day, is the goal to have the net cals be in the negative to show that you've had deficient calories therefore you will lose weight? or is it supposed to be positive? if so how much,

Yaaa that! I want that info too! Thanks for asking....:smile:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Net is the total calories you have consumed - total calories you have expended
    Or
    Net = cals eaten - (BMR + daily activity level + exercise)

Net cals should be as close to your daily goal as possible, within say 100 under or over.

Calorie deficit = the cals MFP takes out of your daily goal automatically to allow for your loss/week goal (500 daily for 1 lb/week, 1000 for 2 lbs/week, etc)

Read this thread - great explanation of how MFP calculates cal goals and deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

Good luck to you!
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I just worked out mine lol it's hard to reach them :grumble:

Friday
    Consumed 1459
    Burned 770
    Actual = Allowance + Workout 1970
    Allowance 1200
    Net 689
    (Should be closer to 1200)

That is scary!!

Saturday
    Consumed 1327
    Burned 238
    Actual = Allowance + Workout 1438
    Allowance 1200
    Net 1089
    (This is close enough I think)

Reading this lol is it worth burning of all those cals everyday? I thought I was doing really well aiming for 1300/1400 cals per day of workouts even somedays higher but it NEVER seems enough lmao who knew losing weight you gotta eat MORE!! :laugh: