HOW MFP has changed me

spaul82478
spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
Ok... so.... I am down again this week and loving it... but I just wanted to share what I used to eat compared to what I eat now... for example

I work at olga's kitchen..... AWSOME FOOD but BAD BAD BAD

This is what i used to eat BEFORE starting to loose weight.. a typical meal there.. and this is what alot of people order.....

Grilled chicken olga with mayo 850 cal 52 g f (21)
curly fries 420 cal 17 f (9)
cup of brocc soup190 13 (5)
with side of snakers and cheese 470 24 (11)
orange cream cooler 400 7 8.5)
pepsi.....160 0 (3) TOTAL FOR ONE MEAL 57.5 WHOPPING POINTS... UGH

Now I eat
1/2 chicken fajita 330 cal 10.5 fat (7)
Bowl peasent soup 230 cal 10 fat (5) EQUALS 12 pts

Now I also changed how I eat Pizza
I love Jets..

This is what i used to eat

4 slices of pizza 350 cals each and 15 grams of fat that equals 1400 cals and 60 grams of fat.. (32) pts my whole day.....just on pizza
plus I would eat jet bread and cinnimon sticks....

Now I eat

1 slice of pizza 8 pts
salad with wish bone spritzer.... very few cals and 0 pts....

Taco bell
before
mexi melts mexican pizza apple empanada

now
Three fresco hard tacos

This is just a small amount i have changed and It sure has paid off... I am so glad I found this site.... THANKS TO ALL MY MFP ERS THAT HELPED

NOW WHAT HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE CHANGED THAT HAS HELPED YOU.. PLEASE SHARE...... :bigsmile:

Replies

• spaul82478
    Ok... so.... I am down again this week and loving it... but I just wanted to share what I used to eat compared to what I eat now... for example

I work at olga's kitchen..... AWSOME FOOD but BAD BAD BAD

This is what i used to eat BEFORE starting to loose weight.. a typical meal there.. and this is what alot of people order.....

Grilled chicken olga with mayo 850 cal 52 g f (21)
    curly fries 420 cal 17 f (9)
    cup of brocc soup190 13 (5)
    with side of snakers and cheese 470 24 (11)
    orange cream cooler 400 7 8.5)
    pepsi.....160 0 (3) TOTAL FOR ONE MEAL 57.5 WHOPPING POINTS... UGH

Now I eat
    1/2 chicken fajita 330 cal 10.5 fat (7)
    Bowl peasent soup 230 cal 10 fat (5) EQUALS 12 pts

Now I also changed how I eat Pizza
    I love Jets..

This is what i used to eat

4 slices of pizza 350 cals each and 15 grams of fat that equals 1400 cals and 60 grams of fat.. (32) pts my whole day.....just on pizza
    plus I would eat jet bread and cinnimon sticks....

Now I eat

1 slice of pizza 8 pts
    salad with wish bone spritzer.... very few cals and 0 pts....

Taco bell
    before
    mexi melts mexican pizza apple empanada

now
    Three fresco hard tacos

This is just a small amount i have changed and It sure has paid off... I am so glad I found this site.... THANKS TO ALL MY MFP ERS THAT HELPED

NOW WHAT HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE CHANGED THAT HAS HELPED YOU.. PLEASE SHARE...... :bigsmile:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    I guess you made me really sit down and think about what I ate b4 MFP

I just at out a lot.

At a lot of cookies or crackers. No More.

I use to eat lots of bread and butter. Lots of bread and butter. Everyday.

Subs, Pizza and Burgers were and every week ritual.
    It was so much easier to go out to eat and not have to cook. I love fried clams and would eat that once every two weeks. Chinese every week. When we would have party’s I would eat dips chips and everything else that people brought and let me tell you with an average of 20 people over my house just about ounce a month, I sure did eat a lot. I have a large family
    Basically, I did not care and just ate when and what ever I wanted. I was brought up to enjoy food. My family is very close and food is a big deal when we have celebrations and or just about any type of get together.

I very rarely ate salads.
    Now a salad is a staple in my house.
    Now I cook health everyday.
    Now I plan my meals.

Sometimes I have a hard time on what I am going to make for two, but I seem to always come through and my husband loves it.

Thanks for putting this post out.

44118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • spaul82478
    I guess you made me really sit down and think about what I ate b4 MFP

I just at out a lot.

At a lot of cookies or crackers. No More.

I use to eat lots of bread and butter. Lots of bread and butter. Everyday.

Subs, Pizza and Burgers were and every week ritual.
    It was so much easier to go out to eat and not have to cook. I love fried clams and would eat that once every two weeks. Chinese every week. When we would have party’s I would eat dips chips and everything else that people brought and let me tell you with an average of 20 people over my house just about ounce a month, I sure did eat a lot. I have a large family
    Basically, I did not care and just ate when and what ever I wanted. I was brought up to enjoy food. My family is very close and food is a big deal when we have celebrations and or just about any type of get together.

I very rarely ate salads.
    Now a salad is a staple in my house.
    Now I cook health everyday.
    Now I plan my meals.

Sometimes I have a hard time on what I am going to make for two, but I seem to always come through and my husband loves it.

Thanks for putting this post out.

44118.png

WELL CONGRATS TO HEALTHYIER LIVING AND EATING.... it was something i just was thinking.. i cant eat 4 slices anymore it makes me sick... but GOD what an eye opener.... thanks for listening

steph:bigsmile:
  • psuastro97
    psuastro97 Posts: 125
    now i'm thinking about what i ate before too...in the end it is probably a mix of larger than needed portions and too much junk food. (icecream and chocolate are my great weaknesses!) i can't walk by a bowl of m&ms without grabbing a handful! until i can control portions, i will just stay clear!!!!

i always found the hardest part was lunch during the work day. i work with a bunch of guys, who eat EVERYTHING!!!! we're talking fast food, pizza, fattening chinese/asian food, etc. i decided that i will start taking my lunch to work, and only eat with them once a week. not only do i get to "control" what i am eating - by packing my lunch, but i also get to leave work a little earlier that day since my lunchhour is shorter. so we'll see if this pays off - this is my first week. so far i have taken my lunch both days this week! i had to start somewhere. i figure if i can do this for a week, i should be good to go the next week...and the week after that...and next thing i know it, i'll have dropped some weight!

as for what to make for two: there is a magazine out there called cooking for two. my mother in law gave it to me for my birthday. (was she hinting that i don't cook enough for her son???) :laugh: we have found some good recipes in there. i'll look through and send you some. any preferences on dinner types?
  • spaul82478
    now i'm thinking about what i ate before too...in the end it is probably a mix of larger than needed portions and too much junk food. (icecream and chocolate are my great weaknesses!) i can't walk by a bowl of m&ms without grabbing a handful! until i can control portions, i will just stay clear!!!!

i always found the hardest part was lunch during the work day. i work with a bunch of guys, who eat EVERYTHING!!!! we're talking fast food, pizza, fattening chinese/asian food, etc. i decided that i will start taking my lunch to work, and only eat with them once a week. not only do i get to "control" what i am eating - by packing my lunch, but i also get to leave work a little earlier that day since my lunchhour is shorter. so we'll see if this pays off - this is my first week. so far i have taken my lunch both days this week! i had to start somewhere. i figure if i can do this for a week, i should be good to go the next week...and the week after that...and next thing i know it, i'll have dropped some weight!

as for what to make for two: there is a magazine out there called cooking for two. my mother in law gave it to me for my birthday. (was she hinting that i don't cook enough for her son???) :laugh: we have found some good recipes in there. i'll look through and send you some. any preferences on dinner types?
    any chicken dishes thats what i seem to get him to eat most of.... lol... Thanks.. yeah chocolate and ice cream.. but I didnt give up ice cream i just eat healthier ones and smaller portions too... lol Thanks again.. Its just something that amazes me on how much JUNK a person can consume and gain weight..no wonder americans are all over weight... :bigsmile:
  • Wizzle
    Wizzle Posts: 97 Member
    Wow, congrats! Thinking about what I used to eat is scary because I would never count my calories. My Fiance and I used to go out and eat a lot without being aware of what we were consuming. I think a good deal of people have no idea how much they are actually eating when they go out to resturants. Now, I bring my own salad dressing to a resturant so I know how many calories are in it. It is amazing what small changes can cause such great results.

Good job with what your doing. Keep up the great work. :smile:

65072.png
  • BreaNix
    BreaNix Posts: 205 Member
    My eating really has changed quite a bit. I didn't eat enough before (starvation mode). And when I did eat enough it would be too many calories at a time.

Now I am eating enough everyday. Snacking all day long on healthy snacks to get all of my calories in. Now that I have to plot my calories I make better choices. I decide if something high calorie is really worth it or if I'd prefer more of something healthier.

I eat proper portions of bread and pasta now. Use to love having homemade bread and butter, now that I'm no longer in starvation mode I get hungry again, so my choices are usually made for what will fill me up and keep me satisfied the longest. I also make sure to save calories for a dessert everynight. I have been opting to by healthier ice cream/ yougart bars that are already portioned out. That way I can't eat to much of it.

My whole way of thinking about food it changing. :smile:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    For at least 30 years every time I tried to lose weight, through whatever diet was the rage, I was not eating enough calories. Therefore, for the last 30 years every time I lost weight, I gained it back with 5 extra. I would lose for a week or two, and then I would get depressed (most likely from not having enough complex carbs) and I would quit losing weight which added to my depression. So, I would give up until I couldn't stand that I had gained another ten pounds and the cycle would begin again.

This is the first time I have been able to keep up with the weight loss, because I do not feel deprived. I know I can have a free day when I need it, and then start over again the next day and still lose weight.

Thank you MFP.:drinker:
  • AlliOops
    AlliOops Posts: 66 Member
    I have a very fat girl living inside my head and SHE LOVES TO EAT!

-A whole Papa Johns Pizza over the course of 4 hours
    -A pint of Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby in one sitting
    -Entire plates of pasta (i.e 8-10 cups of penne a la vodka)
    -Whole boxes of Mallomars, Oreos, Chips A Hoy Cookies (washed down with whole milk)
    -Fried Chicken :sad: (still crying over this one!)

Sometimes all of this in one weekend!

Naaaaas-ty!!!
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    I successfully lost 25 pounds 2 years ago. A lot of exercise and healthy eating. That was during summer break ( mI go to school full time) When school started again I had classes every day, worked at night, went to school from work and had all these exams. No time to even cook or think about diet. Guess you know what happened. Yep. Gained it all back and more.
    It is summer break again and I have to be very careful to not step in the same trap again in the fall. But since I am aware of it and determined not to I'll fimd ways to eat healthy and hopefully have some time left for exercise. No more excuses!
    It'll certainly help to count calories, that way I know early enough where I make mistakes.
  • psuastro97
    i was the exact opposite of you - when i was in school, i was a much smaller size, but not due to healthy eating. i went to penn state and my classes were up to 1 mile apart - so lots of walking. plus i lived off campus, so i walked even more in nicer weather. or rode my bike/rollerbladed. but i ate whatever i wanted. in the summer, when i was substantially less active, i gained a ton of weight. and once school started, i dropped it and the cycle continued.

now that i'm out - it is hard to eat a "proper" protion size! and exercise after working all day. i try to exercise every morning, even if only for 30 minutes, plus walk the dog. but it is hard to squeeze in! i find i eat better the rest of the day if i exercised that morning...so the days i miss exercise in the morning - man are they either REALLY hard, or REALLY bad eating days!

so - i completely uinderstand where you'r coming from!!!!!! stay strong - we can do this!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    for me it is mostly portion sizes--and baked goods
    and not exercising ----then

today i bring my own lunch everyday or decide the night before if i will have a fast food salad or sandwhich that way i can control the whole day i always give my self a break on friday nights that is national do not cook night in my house :laugh: i dont go out of control but i do have what i want and just eat less of it, and i eat more fruits and veggies throughou the day to help fill me up with only some calories

i exercise 3-6 days a week treadmill, walks on the beach, bike and play with the kids and lots of cleaning house (mine and clients)

i always save calories for my evening snack--whether its frozen yogurt, bowl of cereal or a piece of cake, that is a must otherwise i would just give up ya know

mfp has really helped me to watch the calories including more fiber and controling carbs( who doesnt eat to many carbs???) most people eat way more than 1 cup of pasta or 1 slice of bread i still have those things but i control them.

IT IS NICE BEING IN CONTROL OF ME!!!:tongue:
  • spaul82478
    for me it is mostly portion sizes--and baked goods
    and not exercising ----then

today i bring my own lunch everyday or decide the night before if i will have a fast food salad or sandwhich that way i can control the whole day i always give my self a break on friday nights that is national do not cook night in my house :laugh: i dont go out of control but i do have what i want and just eat less of it, and i eat more fruits and veggies throughou the day to help fill me up with only some calories

i exercise 3-6 days a week treadmill, walks on the beach, bike and play with the kids and lots of cleaning house (mine and clients)

i always save calories for my evening snack--whether its frozen yogurt, bowl of cereal or a piece of cake, that is a must otherwise i would just give up ya know

mfp has really helped me to watch the calories including more fiber and controling carbs( who doesnt eat to many carbs???) most people eat way more than 1 cup of pasta or 1 slice of bread i still have those things but i control them.

IT IS NICE BEING IN CONTROL OF ME!!!:tongue:
    Way to go.. Isn't it nice to go back and say..wow.. I can eat now and still look great.. Smaller portins are so key.. and i do the same thing.. I make sure I get my ice cream, Just a half cup now insteasd of the whole carton..lol and i even eat pizza once slice instead of 4.. GREAT JOB and thanks for the posts.. i hope more will come I love reading how you guys changed for the better.. :bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    :happy: Actually I have no idea what MFP stands for but since we're talking about before and afters I thought I'd share as well.
    I was brought up southern, and I'm still southern today. If it can't be deep fried or cooked with bacon/bacon grease I usually don't eat it! Until recently... I've known my husband since I was 9 and loved him ever since. We started dating 3 years ago this July and will have been married 2 years come October. We, like most newlyweds, got comfortable and gained a lot of weight. While he's still handsome to me no matter what... I felt disgusting and decided to do something about it. Within a year and a half I had ballooned from 135 to 185 and I want that 135lb body back so I developed a diet I can stick to!
    Even though experts say "breakfast is the most important meal of the day and no matter what you eat, you should still eat...I used to never eat breakfast. I could go all day sometimes, and not even get hungry till dinner time but then I was insatiable! Eating all the way up till bed time. If I ever did eat breakfast it was something fast food with a bagillion calories and fat grams. But now, every morning I drink 1 cup of Sugar Free Carnation Instant Breakfast with soy milk (lactose intolerant and soy milk's good for you right?). It's made with Splenda, tastes great and is packed with vitamins! For my lunches I got Healthy Choice, or South Beach Living, or Smart Ones diet entrees versus, again, fast food or a jumbo grilled chicken salad from T-Bonz which I like to drench in salad dressing. I picked out the one's that looked the tastiest and before eating them compared their calories and fat to what I normally eat. Not all looked so tasty but the one's I've picked out and had so far were great!
    Since, I have cut my caloric intake by 50 to 75 % and I still allow myself a cheat day, and maybe even a couple beers with the hubby to celebrate week-ends or whatever. It has only been a little over a week now but with the new diet I'm doing, I have already lost 5 pounds. I suspect that is probably just water wight for now since the sodium in the Carnation Instant Breakfast is only 60mg while (my fav. indulgence) a Bacon Egg & Cheese bicuit combo with seasoned fries from BoJangles has an outstanding 1200mg!!!! I'm proud of everyone on here trying to make a difference in their lives, I'm thankful for MyFitnessPal.com for having exactly what I need to continue my diet, and for myself personally? I can't wait to be able to feel pretty again. Good luck everyone!

69566.png
  • psuastro97
    MFP = my fitness pal

(I too am new and it took me a few postings to figure out what MFP was!)
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    MFP = my fitness pal

(I too am new and it took me a few postings to figure out what MFP was!)

:laugh: Ok, well now I feel like a complete dork! Thanks so much though!
  • spaul82478
    :happy: Actually I have no idea what MFP stands for but since we're talking about before and afters I thought I'd share as well.
    I was brought up southern, and I'm still southern today. If it can't be deep fried or cooked with bacon/bacon grease I usually don't eat it! Until recently... I've known my husband since I was 9 and loved him ever since. We started dating 3 years ago this July and will have been married 2 years come October. We, like most newlyweds, got comfortable and gained a lot of weight. While he's still handsome to me no matter what... I felt disgusting and decided to do something about it. Within a year and a half I had ballooned from 135 to 185 and I want that 135lb body back so I developed a diet I can stick to!
    Even though experts say "breakfast is the most important meal of the day and no matter what you eat, you should still eat...I used to never eat breakfast. I could go all day sometimes, and not even get hungry till dinner time but then I was insatiable! Eating all the way up till bed time. If I ever did eat breakfast it was something fast food with a bagillion calories and fat grams. But now, every morning I drink 1 cup of Sugar Free Carnation Instant Breakfast with soy milk (lactose intolerant and soy milk's good for you right?). It's made with Splenda, tastes great and is packed with vitamins! For my lunches I got Healthy Choice, or South Beach Living, or Smart Ones diet entrees versus, again, fast food or a jumbo grilled chicken salad from T-Bonz which I like to drench in salad dressing. I picked out the one's that looked the tastiest and before eating them compared their calories and fat to what I normally eat. Not all looked so tasty but the one's I've picked out and had so far were great!
    Since, I have cut my caloric intake by 50 to 75 % and I still allow myself a cheat day, and maybe even a couple beers with the hubby to celebrate week-ends or whatever. It has only been a little over a week now but with the new diet I'm doing, I have already lost 5 pounds. I suspect that is probably just water wight for now since the sodium in the Carnation Instant Breakfast is only 60mg while (my fav. indulgence) a Bacon Egg & Cheese bicuit combo with seasoned fries from BoJangles has an outstanding 1200mg!!!! I'm proud of everyone on here trying to make a difference in their lives, I'm thankful for MyFitnessPal.com for having exactly what I need to continue my diet, and for myself personally? I can't wait to be able to feel pretty again. Good luck everyone!

69566.png
    WAY TO GO.. keep up the good work
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    MFP is a great motivator/support system one of the best there can be everyone is so wonderful and I am so proud of them. I wish I had discovered it sooner. It woulda made my journey easier and more fun. To think back a year and a half ago to what I used to eat just some of the random things were
    Regular soda in LARGE wuanityies almost 2 liters in a day or so
    -Gravy on anything and everything
    -Steak Hoagies(never a fan or 'real' steak tho) on WHITE bread
    -Mashed Potatoes made with heavy whipping cream and LOTS of butter
    -Any of those fancy Scmancy coffee drinks(they top out at 500-800 cals)
    -Fried ANYTHING even fried candy bars and oreos Country steak was a fave with the sausage gravy
    -White pasta almost a half pound at a time
    -white rice
    -the desserts I could safely eat(minus alot of eggs due to my allergy)
    -bacon, ham, and other processed meats/foods even corned beef hash WITH butter IN it!!!!
    -Danishes with tons of butter
    -doughnuts with butter
    -Basically anything country or southern fried
    -milk chocolate
    since I decided I had to get healthy and I do "treat" myself weekly or even in a itsy bitsy way daily(a morsel or half portion or healthier version) this is my typical diet(eating pattern cause I HATE that word DIET)
    -Tons of nice cold H2O or tea(I have to put sweetner in it tho I know thats not good)
    -Black coffee or coffee with non fat milk/creamer
    -sweet potatoes(baked in skin) Mashers only on holidays(Turkey day)
    -chicken or turkey hoagies on wheat from Subway
    -smoothies(I hit the mother load at a food show of the mixes that are low to no fat)
    -Fresh fruit and veggies(I always was a fan but NO butter on em now)
    -Brown rice
    -Whole wheat pasta with LOTSA tomato sauce and a shred of real cheese
    -butter only on occasion aka garlic bread(on wheat) I CAN NOT do margerine(plastic ewwwww)
    -diabetic cake/baked goods/desserts
    -baked or grilled meats
    -no more fried foods(if I eat it now I literally get sick)
    -dark chocolate

So there are ways WONDERFUL ways to never ever feel deprived
    I also was determined to change when my dad who is 30 years older than me WITH a born heart condition was in better shape than me a 23 year old healthy girl!!! So congrats to everyone we will live LONG and WELL!!!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    MFP is a great motivator/support system one of the best there can be everyone is so wonderful and I am so proud of them. I wish I had discovered it sooner. It woulda made my journey easier and more fun. To think back a year and a half ago to what I used to eat just some of the random things were
    -Fried ANYTHING even fried candy bars and oreos Country steak was a fave with the sausage gravy
    -white rice
    -bacon, ham, and other processed meats/foods even corned beef hash WITH butter IN it!!!!
    -doughnuts with butter
    -milk chocolate
    since I decided I had to get healthy and I do "treat" myself weekly or even in a itsy bitsy way daily(a morsel or half portion or healthier version) this is my typical diet(eating pattern cause I HATE that word DIET)
    -Tons of nice cold H2O or tea(I have to put sweetner in it tho I know thats not good)
    -smoothies(I hit the mother load at a food show of the mixes that are low to no fat)
    -Brown rice
    -butter only on occasion aka garlic bread(on wheat) I CAN NOT do margerine(plastic ewwwww)
    -baked or grilled meats
    -dark chocolate

I also was determined to change when my dad who is 30 years older than me WITH a born heart condition was in better shape than me a 23 year old healthy girl!!! So congrats to everyone we will live LONG and WELL!!!

Since you took the time to type it all out - I am going to take advantage because this pretty much sums up my life too!!

I am a recovering carboholic and fair weather exerciser (all the conditions had to be perfect - which was rare!)

I shop the perimeter of the grocery store

I can guess within 100 calories of my total for the day - I am so in tune with what I am eating.

I have been so consistent and dedicated to my lifestyle change that my husband and friends comment when I don't go to the gym or when i eat something "bad". Nobody asks me to go out to lunch at work anymore and they gym is a best friend not an aquaintance....

I :heart: MFP!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    -white rice
    -doughnuts with butter
    -milk chocolate
    -Brown rice
    -baked or grilled meats
    -dark chocolate

Since you took the time to type it all out - I am going to take advantage because this pretty much sums up my life too!!

I am a recovering carboholic and fair weather exerciser (all the conditions had to be perfect - which was rare!)

I shop the perimeter of the grocery store

I can guess within 100 calories of my total for the day - I am so in tune with what I am eating.

I have been so consistent and dedicated to my lifestyle change that my husband and friends comment when I don't go to the gym or when i eat something "bad". Nobody asks me to go out to lunch at work anymore and they gym is a best friend not an aquaintance....

I :heart: MFP!
    I still have a diet heavy carbs but SLOW carbs as opposed to No carbs, but I did make the wrong choices I too LOVE MFP
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!