Upped my cals

Options
borjanap
borjanap Posts: 232 Member
So I went from 1200-1500 calories because I stopped loosing..I feel a lot more bloated now and its harder to eat 1500, but I hope it works. I really feel like I am eating a lot and I am so afraid of gaining ...

Replies

• borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    So I went from 1200-1500 calories because I stopped loosing..I feel a lot more bloated now and its harder to eat 1500, but I hope it works. I really feel like I am eating a lot and I am so afraid of gaining ...
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing. I haven't lost any in a while, so I'm increasing my cals. I think that as we work out and gain muscle mass while we're losing fat, our need for more calories increase. I'm quite nervous about this as I don't want to gain any fat while increasing my calories. Let's hope for the best.
  • turtle
    turtle Posts: 49
    Options
    I've been thinking about doing the same but I'm too nervous to. I went from 1200 to 1300 and thats the highest I've been able to go so far without really panicking. I'm just hoping if I stay were I'm at in calories and workout more my plateau will give. Good luck!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    My calories changed due to me not working out because I'm injured. I lost another pound after going nowhere for weeks! So I'm going to continue to keep my calories higher. I have never sat still while dieting so early on in my efforts. Usually when I get closer to my goal it is harder. Hummm...

The bloating feeling...Are you drinking sodas of any type or other carbonated drinks? Are you eating several bread servings during the day? This could do it...Good luck, let me know how your upping the calories works! I'll be curious to see how this goes for others.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Me too! I was on another site before I joined MFP. On the other site, I was eating a lot more and losing a lot more weight. Once I switched to MFP and 1200 calories, I started to lose a lot less or none at all.

Let's keep in touch. It is easy for me to eat 1500 calories. My challenge is eating my exercise calories. I run 5 days a week and some days I have to eat almost 2000 calories. It is pretty funny actually because I do not eat after 7 pm. So, at 6:50 pm some nights I start looking for those last couple hundred calories. Almonds work well!

best
    -Kechie.
  • nelleybelley
    nelleybelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have thought about upping mine as well, but I am too chicken yet.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I upped mine b/c I was dizzy and lightheaded all the time. I think that was my body's way of telling me I was not eating enough.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i was at a stand still for a few weeks a while back and i upped my cals then TADA i lost a pound the next week :happy: very happy about that :bigsmile:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I was skeptical at first, but when I noticed the weight loss slowing down and my energy too....I upped and started losing faster and got my energy back up!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Just checking in as promised. For week one, I gained 0.2 pounds. I am not concerned. I will continue with the increased calories this week. I'll let you know how I do next week.
  • bayaderka
    bayaderka Posts: 53
    Options
    If you guys are on a plateau, I suggest going on 3 "plateau days" followed by one "protein day".
    (It's worked very well for me, prior to joining MFP I have lost 8 pounds, beginning with this kick-start plan)

Breakfast: 1/2 grapefruit, 1 hardboiled egg
    Snack: strictly protein (1 string cheese, handfull of nuts, slice of deli turkey, 1/2 nutrition bar)
    Lunch: 1/2 grapefruit, salad of: 1/2 cup steamed spinach, 1 cup lettuce, 3.5 oz. white fish, tbsp olive oil
    Snack: strictly protein
    Dinner: exactly the same as lunch
    Before bed: hot water with lemon

What makes this so affective is the types of food you are eating, the portion control, and the elimination of mindless snacking/grazing which really is the culprit of bringing in calories and weight.

Protein day is self explanatory. Only eat protein rich food. You can eat dairy products, meat and fish, nuts, and sensible diet bars and shakes. Just don't go overboard. Follow a structured 3 meals per day with 2 snacks.

This plan is delicious, and satisfying. Please enjoy the results ahead!
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Don't be afraid to up your calories! If you are eating anything below your maintenance calories there's no way you can gain any weight in the long run. You may gain a little but it will only mean that you were starving yourself before!!

I started at MFP with 1200, lost about 3lbs and stopped, experiment with 1300-1500 for a few weeks and decided to switch to 1700. I didn't gain anything at all, I have more energy and in fact I'm losing slowly. The funny thing - I can really see I've lost something after I don't really count calories.

:flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    For week two, I LOST 2.4 pounds. I will continue with the increased calories this week.

-Kechie.
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    Thats a great loss Kechie! Glad your perseverance paid off!
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's a crazy thought that if you UP your calories you will lose weight!!!!! Does it really work guys and why?? You've always been taught, lower your calories!!!! This weight loss thing is so confusing :grumble:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    For week THREE, I lost another 2.4 pounds. I am sticking with my increased calories.:tongue:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    For week THREE, I lost another 2.4 pounds. I am sticking with my increased calories.:tongue:

WOW! That is fantastic! You are living proof that MFP's plan works--congrats!
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    I upped my cals too! i did weight watchers all winter and never lost anything and was starving!!! Now i am eating and working out and i feel better, less stressed about food because I am more educated from being here!
  • IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That really is great! I'm too scared to up my cals though, I'm only litlte and according to MFP, on 1200 cals a day I'll still only lose 1/2 lb a week. I'll see how it goes...
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    Thats great kechiemc - how many calories have you increased by?