Trying something new (for me anyway)

Options
Okay... so I've been on this diet since June 2010 with a goal to loose 50-60 lbs. I lost 37lbs before the holidays. :happy: I knew I wouldn't be able to do it with the cookies and candy around so I let myself go in November and December. Yup...I gained back 10lbs :sad: I started back on the diet the beginning of January and I'm having a harder time resisting the sweets. They have always been hard for me (especially chocolate!!!)
So I decided to try something new. Instead of depriving myself of the things I love I started delaying the gratification. I realized that I tell my kids they can only have dessert after they eat their veggies. So why can't that be my rule too? Whenever I really want that cupcake or piece of candy I tell myself I have to do something good for myself first. I have to drink my water and eat something healthy. Or take a 20 minute walk. Something to put off the craving without feeling like I just can not have it. If I try to completely resist, I find I just focus more on it and want it more.
Most of the time, by the time I’ve eaten something healthy, I feel fuller so I can resist better. Or if I take a walk I've "earned" the calories. Sometimes just waiting a 1/2 hour can take the edge off. I can have that treat, I tell myself, I just have to wait.
Anyone else have other ideas? For some reason, I didn’t have problems containing myself last year but I'm really having trouble motivating myself now. I’m so close to my goal!