is it true?

Options
I was told that if you eat hotter spicer foods that it helps you burn fat faster? Does any one know if this is true or not! I am sure it has to do with what yu eat but i guess in just looking for the true answer if any one out there knows!

Replies

• dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I've read that before too. They say there's some kind of chemical in the pepper that helps burn calories. I've also heard that if you add red pepper, jalapenos or anything spicy to a meal it makes you feel fuller and helps you eat less.
  • jpmajors
    Options
    I do not believe this to be true. The only way spicy foods helps me loose weight faster is they make me run, like to the bathroom. I know that's TMI. Seriously just does not sound right to me
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree with jomajors. But I wish it were true. I love spicy foods.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I would say theoreticly the opposite is true. If you drink/eat cold stuff your body has to use heat (also energy) to warm it up to body tempurature. The body cooling things, like when you sweat is passive, and burns no more calories than it normally would.

HOWEVER, If the tempurature of food/drink makes a difference in calorie burn it's NOT ENOUGH TO MATTER. If it did the entire US would have switched to the appropiate temperature in prepeareing their food.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, it is true. The spices increase your body's temperature slightly, which raises your heart rate slightly. Overall, it can boost your metabolism for a few hours after eating.

In any case, it can't hurt to try, right?
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Then again just because something is spicy hot, doesn't mean its healthy. The capsaicin in peppers has shown to temporarily increase the metabolism. You would have to consume a LOT in order to have any appreciable effect though.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    This is somewhat true...just because it is spicy does not mean that it will help. You can load up fried chicken with buffalo sauce and it will do no good. Integrating about 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper in with your healthy meals has proved to be helpful in speeding up the metabolic rate.

On another note, vitamin B is helpful as well. Two B-50 vitamins/day (one in morning and one in late afternoon) will help you raise your metabolic rate very effectively.
  • SafariLara
    Options
    It's true, but it wont make a big enough difference if you ate 1000 extra calories with the spicy food! haha
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If this is true then maybe it should be my biggest weight loss tip I tell folks when they ask me how I lost the weight. The hubby and I both LOVE spicy food so there's cayenne, chili powder and/or siracha in darn near everything I make, from breakfast to dinner. lol And when he came back from a trip to the Caribbean last year he brought back this amazing super spicy sauce that has replaced Tapatio for us cuz it's tastier and spicier.
  • simplywriting
    Options
    I was told that if you eat hotter spicer foods that it helps you burn fat faster? Does any one know if this is true or not! I am sure it has to do with what yu eat but i guess in just looking for the true answer if any one out there knows!
    I can't confirm or deny that, but I will tell you that I have looked that up before. There are more articles that support the claim that spicier foods do play some role in burning calories, but it has more to do with metabolism. At any rate, there are dozens of articles out there about it, this is the one I've referred to before.

http://www.fitfaq.com/negative-calorie-fat-burning-foods.html
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The problem is that, even if in a strictly controlled research environment, these foods can be shown to have "some" benefit, the real-life applicability is virtually nil.

For one, trying to eat enough of them to have a significant effect would result in the same kind of "extreme" diet that has a 95+% long-term failure rate.

But mostly, in the greater picture of daily food intake and energy expenditure, there are too many variables that can offset each other for these types of foods or eating strategies to have ANY practical effect.

All of these things--"fat burning" foods, "negative calorie" foods, meal timing, meal frequency, "(Choose any name)" diet. etc, etc, etc.--go under the heading of "Trivial S--t You Should Not Waste Time Worrying About".