Help! This is going to destroy any success.

Options
I have such a hard time with planning my meals... i try to have small meals throughout the day which is great, healthy meals, and then at dinner i am STARVING!!! so I eat a HUGE meal.. i don't want to eat like a bird while my husband is eating a big delicious meal in front of me... help! I have always grown up having a big dinner so this is normal for me. I have always been sort of conscious about calories and now that I am really trying to stick with MFP I feel so horrible that I am going over, or feel so hungry after a small dinner. I always have a few glasses of water while I eat to fill me up... SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Replies

• spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You can try eating some nuts an hour before your meal apparently they will help you get full faster , also try to add an extra side of veggies for you for dinner.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Make a healthy supper, with more veggies than other sides or meats and enjoy your meal. At our house the family dinner is a priority and at least 6 times a week we eat at our table because this is one of the few times during the day we can all be together. Healthy lean protein, veggies, some carbs...you can actually make quite a bit and eat quite a bit for about 500 calories!
  • beautifulbrat
    Options
    drink lots of water or milk before your meal and add extra vegetables
  • sbracken
    Options
    Are you eating filling foods throughout the day? What about veggies? Who's giving DH a big delicious meal? If it's you putting the food on the plate, what about not putting so much on the plate for him or using smaller plates.

Drink the water and have a salad before you start your main course to help fill you up. Eating slower helps with the delay signal from your stomach to your brain saying you're full.
  • rhayes1
    Options
    I have a tough time too, but what I have done is eaten and apple or orange or some nuts right before I leave work (I actually do this before I go out with coworkers at lunch too. I find that after the 20 minute drive I am not as hungry and therfore it is easier for me to avoid overeating.
  • BrittSwimsJDRF
    BrittSwimsJDRF Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds a little silly... but we've started using our smaller salad plates instead of our dinner plates, which has really helped with the portion control. We also make sure to have at least a cup or two of vegetables with dinner, and a healthy protein.
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you limiting your evening meal to? I'm sure people could give suggestions of e.g. "delicious filling 500-calorie meals"