Mind tricks

Options
Do any of you have any thing u do to trick yourself into working out harder or longer than planned? My workouts are so small compared to my friends but I dont even touch my workout calories so not sure if I should be increasing or not. Couple things I've thought of..

Covering the treadmill with a towel so I dont stare at the screen. Sometimes put in a movie and watch that instead.
Try telling my self things like 5 more mins or 20 more calories, even if I've done what I planned to do.

Anybody have any other tricks to share?

Replies

• JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Music tends to keep me going longer, as long as I don't have any random pains that is; i also found a new one this week of setting my weekly loss goal and then repeating that amount in my head as a "mantra"..crazy, i know but i almost hit my goal this week so I will just keep doing it :tongue:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    When I do steps I'll watch a fav show, like the First 48 to keep my mind off the clock, or when I watch the Biggest Loser..I also do steps while watching it. I've been working out to workout videos the past week and that keeps me going for an hour at the most.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I try to keep up with others in the gym or imagine I've got an audience.
    If I give up now they'll think I'm no good and this keeps me going a bit. :O)
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    The towel over the timer helps me a bunch, as well as, watching a tv show while on the treadmill. Running on a treadmill can get very boring and monotonous. Walking or Running outside is best because you can change the scenery and set goals on distances on your walk/run. If you are in a cold climate right now, I would go with the towel and movie though. Or you can change it up do treadmill one day, a workout game or video next to change it up. You will probably burn more calories doing a dance game or video than you would on a treadmill. Living up in the Boston, MA area, when indoors on treadmill I always towel up, and see how long I can go without looking at the timer.
  • caljoc
    caljoc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Run outdoors and in a straight as possible route. That way ensures that you have to make the return route to complete your workout. I like to run along the local river to the lock that is 4 miles away. There are no routes back to my house apart from the route along the river and therefore I complete my 8 mile long run (although most of the time I am walking :) ).

I cant do treadmills - they bore me.
  • KTGator
    KTGator Posts: 78
    Options
    When I go for walks, I take my dogs with me with the goal of tiring them out. They're both herding breeds (which means TONS of energy), so typically I end up walking at least an hour rather than the 30 mins. I would usually do if I walked by myself.

When I had a gym membership and would use the treadmill, I would create a competition for myself: I would challenge myself to go five minutes longer than I had the previous day, or to maintain a higher speed/incline than I had the previous day. That way I was always working a little bit harder, and got that satisfaction of feeling like I'd accomplished something with that day's workout by pushing myself a little bit harder.

Hope that helps! Good luck!