Calorie Counting is Over

Options
HI MyFitnessPal Family,

I found out this weekend I am pregnant!!! I dont think I should count calories or loose weight LOL. If any mothers out there have any advice on staying fit will pregnant Im all ears.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!!
    I believe that the general advice is that you should continue with the same ealthy eating you would have on a weight reduction diet but increase the calories to match your BMR...which will of course increase as your pregnancy advances. That way you will not lose weight, but neither will you be storing excess fat.The weight you put on will just be your baby.
  • sdornbush
    Options
    Congrats! My suggestion would be to continue to make healthy choices and stay active to help from gaining too much weight while pregnant. Never use the excuse your eating for two!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Change your calories to maintenance and stick to that for the first trimester. For the second and third trimesters you can up your calories to gain 1/2 pound per week, or you can leave it at maintenance and just go with what your body tells you. And don't feel bad about giving in to occasional cravings!
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are right that you shouldn't try to lose weight. You might want to use MFP to see what your maintenance calories would be and add about 150-200. Keep eating nutritious foods, and keep exercising if you have been exercising - don't push too hard.

I had to follow a diabetic diet for part of my first two pregnancies. I gained about 25-30 pounds and didn't have a very difficult time losing the weight. With my third baby, I did not have a special diet, so it was anything goes. I gained almost 50 pounds and now, 18 months later, I am still trying to get back to where I was.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Congrats!

You can still count your calories on here to make sure you are getting all you need during pregnancy. (You want to make absolutely sure that you are getting enough good food for your baby.) You can set your goals for maintenance and ask your doctor for a good calorie recommendation for you. If you continue tracking while you are preggers, you will have developed great habits which will help you transition in your post-partum period. That time can be super hectic, and its easy to get distracted from taking care of YOU! If you start now, you will be ahead of yourself and many other moms for that matter. Take lots of walks and try some pregnancy Yoga too. (Wondering aimlessly in the baby stores is acceptable pregnancy exercize in my opinion!):drinker:

Enjoy this time and take good care of yourself!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    experts say preg women over eat fot the baby. you should only increase your cals by 300. talk to your drs and do research. try fitpregnancy.com
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!:flowerforyou:
  • momof26
    momof26 Posts: 83
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! You should still eat healthy and walk. It's important to stay healthy while pregnant because if you don't you can become like me who gained 70 lbs while pregnant and have a c-section and get preclampsia after delivery. 6 months later still trying to lose my pregnancy weight! Congrats again and enjoy your pregnancy!!