Sugar : I don't understand!

Options
So I am now losing some weight. I workout about 4 times a week. 2 of those times being very intense. I enjoy eating fruits, and notice a lot of good fruits have a lot of sugar. Sugar converts into fat I keep reading. Today I ate a Turkey sandwich at Subway and it also had a lot of sugar. What can I eat thats good that wont have so much sugar? I heard grapes are good but it is getting very complicated for me to stay low on sugar items (regular fruits and foods, not even candy!)

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    most carbs are sugar----however, veggies have carbs in them but not so much sugar. Those carbs are taboo.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be as worried about sugar from fruit.. but you have to keep it within your calorie budget. Yes, extra sugar that's not burned off will be turned into fat but I wouldn't cut out fruits for this reason. They're full of vitamins and minerals so they're good for you. But like I said, just keep it within your calorie allowance.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I don't count fresh fruits in my sugar limits. Its the refin processed sugars you need to worry about Subway sugars come in the bread I assume and those are refined crap sugars. Big difference.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the sugars in fruits and veg unless you are diabetic.

Tracking sugar on this site is misleading because it includes natural as well as added sugars. You just have to look through your diary and note how much of the sugar is from fruits and vegetables, and how much is from other things.
  • sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    Natural sugars are healthier than refined sugars so sugar from fruit is better for you than out of a packet.

All food, be it fat, carbs, proteins, have the potential to become fats in your body. Fat is your the way you store an excess of food for leaner times. You need to use what you eat in a day - so if you eat lots of fruit but you are under your cals amount then you have nothing to worry about.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I go over on my sugar every single day but much of it is from fruit or veggies. Don't worry about that sugar unless you are going over by more than 50 grams. Then you need to cut back on the fruit just a little.
  • dunztar
    dunztar Posts: 45
    Options
    Thank you guys for the quick replies! I eat a lot of fruit for my exercises... throughout the day I do feel a lot more energized. I barely feel sleepy (only when I have to go to sleep at night which is great for me). I guess fruits overall are making my body feel way better... so I am not going to drop fruits. I also read I can not eat more than 3 fruits per day unless I am working out... is this true?
  • misty1208
    Options
    I was looking at mine that way as well. But almost all of mine comes from the fruit as well, so i just ignore thoes grams.

Ive been trying to pay attention to sodium, jeez that can get super high to really fast!