Getting the most value from your HRM - what do you do?

JPriceGA
JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello, I recently got a wonderful gift of a heart rate monitor (HRM) with a chest strap. Mine is a Sportline Duo. I'm still learning how to use it.

So far, I've discovered that the life fitness machines at the gym pick up the chest strap signal - which makes using them a very different experience. I can set them on cardio, then they figure out a target heart rate (HR) for me and adjust incline or resistance to keep my HR at that target level for the duration. However, at the end of the workout - the calorie burn rate on the duo is significantly higher than on the machine display. I'm not sure which one to record in MFP.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. What do you do to get the most value from your HRM?

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    You would use the number on your HRM because it is the one that is attached to you. The machine will lower your rate during your workout. Why I don't know but I've witness it myself and I would take a quit look at my watch and see the difference.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    I would use the cals on the HRM also.
    On another note, how do you actually use a HRM? I am never sure when to check my HR or how often to get accurate cals burned.
  • The heart rate monitor, although it is weird that the machine is estimating less. The treadmill usually estimates more. Do you program you weight and age in the machine because it makes the readings more accurate? Either way use the HRM reading.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Make sure you are imputing you weight into the gym equipment the treadmills are set for a 150 pound male. If you weigh more as I do I will get far less calories burned on the machine than from my HRM. And yes use your HRM count
  • JPriceGA
    I would use the cals on the HRM also.
    On another note, how do you actually use a HRM? I am never sure when to check my HR or how often to get accurate cals burned.

What's cool about using the chest strap is that it takes a constant reading. The watch tracks how much of my workout I spend below my target zone, in it, or above it. I can then see if I'm really working at the level I should be for my goal. It sets three zones, "healthy" for things like casual walks, "Fat burning" and "Aerobic." What I learned right away is that sometimes I push too hard and work above my aerobic zone - which, I undersatand is actually less efficient andmakes it harder to have a longer exercise session.
  • JPriceGA
    The heart rate monitor, although it is weird that the machine is estimating less. The treadmill usually estimates more. Do you program you weight and age in the machine because it makes the readings more accurate? Either way use the HRM reading.

I do put in age and wt, so I'm a bit baffled by the diference. The HRM also has my height information - maybe that's a key variable...
This discussion has been closed.