exercise with bad knees *help please*

Options
I need advice on how I can exercise with out my knees killing me, I was in a car accident when I was younger and it left my knees in bad shape. Also, have had knee surgery on my left knee. I need ways of working out to strengthen my muscles and my legs with out causing so much pain and bring me down. If any one has any in put please message me or leave some comments thank you.

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    bicycling is the best for strenthening quads and hamstrings while protecting your knees.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics!!
  • vintage36
    Options
    Lying on back raise right leg, bend at knee,, straighten out and lower. Repeat 10 times. Same for both legs.
    Was given this by physio after knee replacement.
  • gina205
    gina205 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would like to know how. Thanks!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Swimming is excellent!
  • driscollmc
    Options
    i have bad knees too, so i'd try out the elliptical. you can adjust the resistance which is nice to make sure it doesn't hurt too much
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Ah, gotta love the knee pain. Dealing with a spent tendon as well. All good advice! Planning on biking and elliptical . . . instead of running, like I love. :0)
  • katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in both knees, I use an elliptical machine. Strengthens your thigh muscles, low impact on knees.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Depends how bad it is.

If we're literally talking "rehab" level, then try aqua jogging. It's actually surprisingly hard work and totally gentle on all joints. Many runners use it when recovering from injuries. You can buy the special floatation belts online.

If you're ok to bend etc as long as it's non-impact then you can try rowing or cycling.
  • AADLONG
    AADLONG Posts: 12
    Options
    if you can stand and that doesn't bother your knees then you can do the gazelle glider. Also you can get and exercise ball and inside it has alot of exercises to do. My right hip is deterating and when I went to a trainer to find exercises she had me do alot of ball and floor exeercises. you can also take a exercise band and stand on it and hold with both hands and do side steps with it and alot of same exercises you would do with free weights. lastly i dont know your financial situation but if you can look into getting a couple of sessions with a trainer and they can get exercises just for you or try gettting a wii. Hope any of this helps and yes water aerobics are wonderful no strain on the body when exercising.
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am very empathetic to your issue. I have had knee surgery (on the same knee) 3 times! So coming from someone who is very careful and guarded about the types of movements and stress I put it through I will definately recommend the elliptical and bike. I hop on the treadmill too, but I never run, just because of the sheer impact on my knee, so I set the incline up to 6 or 7% and speed up to 3.5 and walk for 30 minutes. Gives me a good sweat and gets my heart pumping too.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help you. I'd only say to find a good physical or sports therapist. Oh -- you can shoot a question over to The Fitcast. They often take questions and answer them on their podcast. You may also be able to ping Kevin via Twitter. He's a good guy.

But have you ever tried using a combination glucosamine & chondroitin supplement? There's debate in the scientific realm as to whether or not it's useful. But I'll tell you, it's worked wonders for me. When I was doing some hardcore stuff, my elbows would kill me. A few days of taking that stuff, and I felt right as rain. Normally I say supplements are worthless, but that's one I give a thumbs-up to, even if it's a little pricey.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee, not from an accident but the kind that comes from age and from spending too many years carrying too much weight. To lessen the impact of jumping exercises I will sometimes do them on my mini trampoline-just depends how the knee is feeling that day. I have about three different knee wrap/warmer/soft brace things that I have mixed feelings about. I rarely wear them as I can't tell any real benefit. If the knee is acting really bad I will put one on for jogging or jumping.

I do take supplements for my knee. I take a supplement called Celadrin, I drink a liquid glucosamine & chondroitan supplement called Elations. I have also taken hyaluronic acid and MSM. I do get relief, but sometimes quit taking them when I fall off the fitness wagon and they don't work if you don't take them.