foods you used to think were healthy...

Options

Replies

• Shawnalee0703
    Options
    A lot of people eat out multiple times a week and sometimes multiple times a day! Packaged foos at home run in the high 500's for a serving....remember that a lot of america doesn't eat just one serving. I would think 7000 is totally realistic tho!!!! Even I, who eats 80% clean can go into the high 3000's on an off day.... 7000-10,000 is totally realistic for someone who rarely preparestheir own food. I usually have no problem staying below 2500 but most everything we eat is fresh...or low sodium. I got this figure from a providence medical center dietician...pretty sure she didn't make it up. Maybe not the average american, but a lot of them!
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    For me it was canned soup - it wasn't the calories, because that was great, but the SODIUM!!! I'm not as concerned about hitting my sodium goals everyday, but I don't want to obliterate it and eat that American average of 10k. I used to love how easy soup was for lunch at work. It was filling, I thought I was getting good veggies and sticking super low cal to support my snacking habit at work and when you catch them on sale its pretty darn cheap!

I miss canned soup...but I'm going to try making my own in the crock-pot! Hopefully that'll cut down the sodium down and keep my calories near the same.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    For me it was canned soup - it wasn't the calories, because that was great, but the SODIUM!!! I'm not as concerned about hitting my sodium goals everyday, but I don't want to obliterate it and eat that American average of 10k. I used to love how easy soup was for lunch at work. It was filling, I thought I was getting good veggies and sticking super low cal to support my snacking habit at work and when you catch them on sale its pretty darn cheap!

I miss canned soup...but I'm going to try making my own in the crock-pot! Hopefully that'll cut down the sodium down and keep my calories near the same.
    Homemade soup is delicious and you can make it your own! Have fun with it. There are some great organic broths that have a very reasonable sodium to them or make some at home. Enjoy! :)
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The average american actually consums nearly 10,000 mg of sodium per day!!! Blech! No wonder there are so many blood preassure issues. :(

This isn't true. I wouldn't be surprised if some Americans were nearing 10,000 mg, but the average intake is about 4,000. Still way too high, of course.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    The average american actually consums nearly 10,000 mg of sodium per day!!! Blech! No wonder there are so many blood preassure issues. :(

This isn't true. I wouldn't be surprised if some Americans were nearing 10,000 mg, but the average intake is about 4,000. Still way too high, of course.
    Maybe, but I am still certain, after doing some math that many people are still consuming well over 4000! Lol
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    salads at restaurants!

Pasta, any kind! Not no more!

those cute little packaged 100-calorie snacks! NEVER!! Not any more! Too much processed carbs.

No pasta?? You are crazy. Life is way to short to cut out all the foods I love.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    packaged pasta sauce. sodium killer.

Also is a sugar high in a jar.
  • lbarrett74
    Options
    Doctor says if ur gonna have cheese then American is better than cheddar because cheddar has a lot of oil. I'm staying away from cheese now for the most part but a little fetta goes a long way: i.e. spinach, fetta, egg white wrap, a sprinkle on a spinach salad is wonderful too.

Fruit has way more sugar than i realized. If I eat a banana in the morning, I'm already maxed out on my sugar intake for the day.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    fruit sugar is not the problem, it's processed white sugar you wanna limit. Enjoy your banana guilt free!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    salads at restaurants!

Pasta, any kind! Not no more!

those cute little packaged 100-calorie snacks! NEVER!! Not any more! Too much processed carbs.

No pasta?? You are crazy. Life is way to short to cut out all the foods I love.

I agree. I have pasta at least once a week. If you watch portion sizes and have proteins with them instead of just a bunch of carby veggies, then the insulin spike is reduced and the GI index is actually very low. I don't understand why so many people needlessly vilify pasta. Of course too much of anything is not good, but a serving of pasta eaten proportionally is very filling and tasty.
  • AlishaA
    Options
    the more I research the more i find that food is not healthy overall with the processes, hormones, antibiotics, pesticides etc. We really need to get back to growing/raising our own. Who has time for that. Either that or find organic. We have come a long way in the grocery store but not far enough and just because it is organic a lot of that isn't healthy either.
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    fruit juice! if i have fruit juice now, it always has a handful of spinach or kale thrown in. it's too sweet, anyway.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    CORN! No nutritional value and nothing but CALORIESSSSS. Makes my heart sad.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    cheese, red meat, salads at restaurants...

however, i'm not giving them up! everything in moderation! if i'm getting a salad at a restaurant, i ask for cheese/bacon/dressing/whatever on the side so i can choose the amount i put on.
  • jessieinblue
    Options
    CORN! No nutritional value and nothing but CALORIESSSSS. Makes my heart sad.

Sigh, this is not true either. While it isn't an ideal veggie, fresh corn is a good source of thiamin, fiber, folate, and other vitamins.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    ummmm cheese isn't bad...moderation, red meat isn't bad...buy lean....nuts aren't bad....eat wisely

Heart breakers for me:

BAD....splenda
    BAD....deli meats
    BAD....maragret holmes canned collard greens & cabbage
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between food that is unhealthy and food that is deceptively high in calories. Nuts, almonds, cheese, (some) red meat, or even pasta and fruit juice aren't unhealthy -- but they tend to be consumed in excessive quantities and then push calories and either carbs or fat over the limits. Now big, cheese/bacon topped restaurant salads, excessively high-in-sodium prepared meals or canned soups etc *are* a lot more unhealthy (though portion control can limit the damage).

My own eye-opener: "healthy" bran/nuts/seed muffins. I didn't expect them to pack 450-550 calories. Also, I didn't expect the low-fat versions of coffee-shop muffins to be worse than the full-fat ones: barely 20 calories saved, but a LOT more carbs.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Special K cereals & Cereal Bars...all that sugar and sodium too........................just plain oatmeal for me now

and

Fruit juices..used to drink cartons of pineapple juice...especially the one with coconut...OMG the calories!!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Pasta. I knew it was high in carbs and wasn't great from that front, but I had no idea how many calories are in pasta! Crazy. I thought it was better for you than that.
  • jessieinblue
    Options
    Anyway, my own biggie was definitely Lean Cuisines and other diet frozen meals. It took me awhile to fully grasp that lower calorie does not equal good choices.

Of course, I don't think I could eat them now even if I tried. They're just gross.