Not being funny ...

Shamrock40
Shamrock40 Posts: 264
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
When you throw up, do you count any calories? I have been really sick since Friday and, until today, I haven't eaten much, but I haven't had any problems keeping food down. I ate a little bit today, but just got sick. Do I just not count that stuff? I don't suppose it really matters, I haven't been anywhere near my calorie goal. It's not like I'm going over or anything. I guess I was just curious.

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Honestly, when your sick your body is working hard to heal, so I wouldn't even worry about calories. Let your body do its job and make you well, then start back on tracking.
  • I guess I wasn't so much worried about going over, now that I think about it, I was just trying really hard to get to 1200 calories every day. It's just not happening.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    I would just try to go with the flow and not focus so much on the number of calories you're trying to consume, but just eat what appeals to you and what you think you can keep down. Everything else will balance out. Eating when you feel ill and forcing it isn't going to help you keep anything down and will likely have the opposite effect.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    BRAT - Bananas, Rice, Applesauce & Toast. Bland foods that won't "bounce." Lots of clear fluids, too, so you don't get dehydrated. Don't worry about keeping track or trying to reach any goal. Just focus on getting better.

I just added a note "sick day" into my food diary those days.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    If you're throwing up, your body is losing fluids and electrolytes. Drink Gatorade or a sports drink to get your body's natural balance back. Having an electrolyte imbalance and deficit will only exacerbate your illness and make you feel sicker. That can also be the reason why you can't hold any food down.
  • Thank you. I'm in such a fog. My husband, and my two kids are sick, too. It's like I can't think for myself, and I've had calories on the brain for a month, so it's hard to not think about it, even when I'm sick.
  • Fluids, fluids, fluids! You're body will tell you when it's ready for food and start out light. Just got over some nasty crud myself :grumble: . 5 people in my house and every one of us was on antibiotics at the same time...gotta be some kind of record! :noway: You'll know when it's time to eat. Don't even worry about logging anything. Just rest! Hope you and your family feel better soon!
  • There is currently an outbreak in Norovirus affecting patients and staff in nursing care facilities as well as hospitals.

The incubation period for norovirus-associated gastroenteritis in humans is usually between 24 and 48 hours (median in outbreaks, 33 to 36 hours), but cases can occur within 12 hours of exposure. Norovirus infection usually presents as acute-onset vomiting, watery non-bloody diarrhea with abdominal cramps, and nausea. Low-grade fever also occasionally occurs, and diarrhea is more common than vomiting in children. Dehydration is the most common complication, especially among the young and elderly, and may require medical attention. Symptoms usually last 24 to 72 hours.

Any illness if severe enough will in many cases sap your appitite. A gastritis such as you describe, can lead to profound complecations if left un-treated. First if it persists past a couple days in moderated form, you need to be seen. In severe form with persistant nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, it can quickly escalate to the level of a true emergency. Dehydration at the least and progression to metabolic problems such as electrolyte depletion with a host of symptoms that may lead to cardiac rhythm disturbances and other profound problems.

Don't just blow it off. It is in most cases easily treated, and you need to try and be sure of the cause. There are some pretty bad bugs running around right now which are very easy to spread through the home and community if left un treated. So job one is get to your doctor or the closest urgent care. Hand washing and measures to prevent spreading it all over the place is really important.

In answer to your question, Your metabolic rate will skyrocket under this kind of full body stress and you will rapidly outrun your reserves. Eat what you can keep down and don't worry about the diet until you are well and symptom free. You need all the calories you can get right now and at that, you will most likely still burn more then taken in.

Get seen by a doctor, rest and follow his advice. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.