Whole Wheat Tortillas

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
I just made this recipe and it makes a few more than it actually says (apparently the writer and I have differing opinions on the size of golf balls :) )

Seriously though, given the fact that a 10 pack of whole wheat tortillas costs about 3 dollars at the store, this will make double the tortillas for a fraction of the price.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 4 cups whole wheat bread flour
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 1/2 cups boiling water
* all-purpose flour for rolling

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup all-purpose flour, the whole wheat flour, and salt. Rub in the shortening by hand until the mixture is the texture of oatmeal. Make a well in the center, and pour in the boiling water. Mix with a fork until all of the water is evenly incorporated. Sprinkle with a bit of additional flour, and knead until the dough does not stick to your fingers. The dough should be smooth.
2. Make balls the size of golf balls, about 2 ounces each. Place them on a tray, and cover with a cloth. Let stand for at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours.
3. Heat a griddle or large frying pan over high heat. On a lightly floured surface, roll out a tortilla to your preferred thinness. Fry one at a time. Place on the griddle for 10 seconds, as soon as you see a bubble on the top, flip the tortilla over. Let it cook for about 30 seconds, then flip and cook the other side for another 30 seconds. Roll out the next tortilla while you wait for that one to cook. Repeat until all of the balls have been cooked. Tortillas can be refrigerated or frozen.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican-Whole-Wheat-Flour-Tortillas/Detail.aspx

Servings Per Recipe: 18* (I got 22 out of this recipe, all decent sized)

Amount Per Serving
Calories: 179
Total Fat: 6.3g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 261mg
Total Carbs: 27.3g
Dietary Fiber: 3.5g
Protein: 4.7g

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    I just made this recipe and it makes a few more than it actually says (apparently the writer and I have differing opinions on the size of golf balls :) )

Seriously though, given the fact that a 10 pack of whole wheat tortillas costs about 3 dollars at the store, this will make double the tortillas for a fraction of the price.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup all-purpose flour
    * 4 cups whole wheat bread flour
    * 1/2 cup shortening
    * 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 1/2 cups boiling water
    * all-purpose flour for rolling

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup all-purpose flour, the whole wheat flour, and salt. Rub in the shortening by hand until the mixture is the texture of oatmeal. Make a well in the center, and pour in the boiling water. Mix with a fork until all of the water is evenly incorporated. Sprinkle with a bit of additional flour, and knead until the dough does not stick to your fingers. The dough should be smooth.
    2. Make balls the size of golf balls, about 2 ounces each. Place them on a tray, and cover with a cloth. Let stand for at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours.
    3. Heat a griddle or large frying pan over high heat. On a lightly floured surface, roll out a tortilla to your preferred thinness. Fry one at a time. Place on the griddle for 10 seconds, as soon as you see a bubble on the top, flip the tortilla over. Let it cook for about 30 seconds, then flip and cook the other side for another 30 seconds. Roll out the next tortilla while you wait for that one to cook. Repeat until all of the balls have been cooked. Tortillas can be refrigerated or frozen.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican-Whole-Wheat-Flour-Tortillas/Detail.aspx

Servings Per Recipe: 18* (I got 22 out of this recipe, all decent sized)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 179
    Total Fat: 6.3g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 261mg
    Total Carbs: 27.3g
    Dietary Fiber: 3.5g
    Protein: 4.7g
  • laureneva
    laureneva Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    so am making these soon
  • msarro
    Options
    Oh just a note, even though it says fry you don't fry them - you just put them on a hot nonstick griddle.
    I tried one this morning, and they're fabulous!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!! the store bought ones taste like they are just BLAH!!!!