Replies

• luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    nope, never heard of it..what is it???
  • ForTheFam
    ForTheFam Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it but heard of it. Any diet or lifestyle change that endorses rewards of pizza and doughnuts is not a good plan. Sure wish it was...sounds like fun.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    +1
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info readily available on it. Even the actual website is basically just quick blurb testimonials and a linkto buy the book moreseo than it actually talks about what it's trying to do. Which, to me, is a HUGE red flag.

But from what I could find on it, it seems like it's basically calorie counting with a cheat day each week. But they're encouraging a full on huge cheat day the entire day, not just a big cheat meal (with extra exercise) like a lot of folks talk about doing here.

I don't like the idea of a weekly cheat meal already (I tend to look at maybe one a month, and I definitely work out extra that day to bank exercise calories to cover as much of the cheat as I can) so I definitely wouldn't be interested in the Spike Diet from what I read.
  • ADobs
    ADobs Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you read the book it doesn't endorse or encourage fast foot, junk, doughnuts, chips, etc. The main idea behind the "diet" is that you alternate between low and high days through the week and then once a week you have a day where you double your calories in order to give your metabolism a "boost" and shock it. If you're maintaining you can have 2-3 spike days. To double your calories, you can eat whatever you want. And one day of bad eating will not undo a week's worth of hard and clean work. I don't like to call it a cheat day because it's not. On that day, i still work out and I eat healthy too, but it's my day to eat what I've been craving throughout the week.

After my spike day I also find it really easy to get back into my normal routine because I don't crave these things anymroe and if I do, I have something to look forward to next weekend! I look at it this way, if I deprived myself these things all the time, then one day I would crack and probably binge, not to mention I'd be pretty miserable. You should be able to eat whatever you want, but in moderation.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I believe the author is a member of MFP, he could probably answer questions the best. :smile: I haven't looked into it myself.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    This just sounds like a fancy name for Zig-Zagging and you don't need to buy some dumb book to do it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I believe the author is a member of MFP, he could probably answer questions the best. :smile: I haven't looked into it myself.
    He's a great blogger on here as well.