Logging a binge

Options
So for the past 2 weeks, things have not been going so well. I've been slacking with working out, but still working out more days than I don't. I've also been over on my calories several times. Some of those days WAY over. I always log everything but I'm not sure if that's making me more depressed and heading me toward giving up or if I am on the right track by maintaining accountability, at least. What makes you all keep going? I know I'm an emotional eater and I'm trying to decide what is going to leave me with the least guilt...:cry:

Replies

• backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    If I go way over, I train it off.

It's the simplest solution. Sitting there moping about it doesn't change anything.
  • ladysvs
    ladysvs Posts: 61
    Options
    Take all the bad food out of your house!!! This way when you want to munch, you'll only have healthy options. Also, as the other person said, EXERCISE! This will not only get you back on track, but give you the extra calories to eat when you are hungry! Drinking lots of water also helps!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Log Everything...it may be hard to look at but at least you are being truthful about where you are in your progress right now. It may be difficult to get over that hump but you can do it! Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • LivingFree
    Options
    I understand the emotional eating thing well. It is the very thing I am trying to change. Hang in there - don't give up. It's just a rough patch. Find it within yourself to pull past this, find something / anything else to help with your emotions and keep going.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    One thing you might try is to plan out all of your meals for the next day in advance, like the night before. That way you have time to come up with a good plan, and you will be less likely to go off-course.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I always log everything. I know it's depressing sometimes to see what you ate, but I feel like if I give myself permission to not log, then I tend to be less honest overall. But that's just me, I'm still working out my food issues. Really, you just have to do what's best for you. If logging it makes you feel worse and like you want to give it all up, then don't log it. Even the occasional binge is not going to derail all your progress, and everyone slips up. The only way you cheat yourself is if you give up. So do whatever works best for you mentally and push through these tough times!
  • LisaSaysHi
    LisaSaysHi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens with me. After I totally blow a whole day's worth of calories, I just give myself permission to enjoy what I ate and stop worrying about it. I'm all the more motivated to make the next day a great one!
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I go through phases of having horrible BIG binges(also an emotional eater - boo :grumble: ) and originally I found logging it all really depressing... but after persevering it's actually helped a lot. If you're in eating mode and you manage to drag yourself away to log then it can really help, if not to snap you out of it then at least to moderate yourself. That said, everyone's different and if you think it's not working for you then you can always try calling it a new day? Either way, I know it's difficult but try not to be too hard on yourself - everyone has periods when sticking to calories feels a lot harder. 28lbs lost is amazing! You clearly have it in you :smile:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Definitely log everything. Like one member said, throw away all the junk food so you can't snack on it. I keep my food in a different cabinet away from my kids snacks. If I think I'm going to go over in calories, I will do a workout so I won't feel so guilty.
  • fitmom125
    Options
    One thing you might try is to plan out all of your meals for the next day in advance, like the night before. That way you have time to come up with a good plan, and you will be less likely to go off-course.

I agree plan your meals ahead of time. It really helps from going over your calories. When I first started logging my food, I went over a more than a few times, but now that I plan my what I'm going to eat, it helps.
  • jas001
    jas001 Posts: 9
    Options
    I go over my calorie limit a lot. Usually by 100 or so, but that's not a big deal since I'm just starting to lose the weight and I'm finding it hard to keep to the limit. I've even had a binge day of eating an entire pizza!! It sucks when I logged it all in and I wrote in my notes/wall about how much it sucks, but one nice person wrote back to me and said that "Its just one day, you can make up for it by trying harder tomorrow" I totally agree and have tried to keep positive. Must think positive, hun,. Its the only way to move forward.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Log it all. It keeps you honest.

And I agree with planning your meals ahead of time - add in a square or two of dark chocolate if you want something sweet. Good luck!