I need a crash course in measurement.

Options
What and where am I supposed to measure? Specifically, where is my waist? Is it where the waistband of my pants are (just above hips at my navel) or is it the slimmest part of my torso ( on me, a few inches above my navel)? Also, does a hip measurement include my booty or not?

Replies

• Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Get a digital food scale and some different size pyrex measuring cups! :) I love my food scale!
    Lol just kidding! Shawnalee, read the actual post!
  • WEN575
    WEN575 Posts: 34
    Options
    your waist measurement, typically, is around your navel. Your hip measurement would include your booty, but really as long as you measure the same spot each time, it doesn't really matter.
  • MsImperfect0
    MsImperfect0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Get a digital food scale and some different size pyrex measuring cups! :) I love my food scale!

i think u forgot to read her post
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

i think u forgot to read her post
    Lol sure did, but I edited my post. Ha ha
  • mkw122680
    Options
    From what I understand, the waist measurement should be taken about where your jeans sit, about at the navel. As far as the hips, I believe your booty is included, as the tape measurer should go right over the wides part of the hip bones.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I have been told waist is actually at your smallest point. But I measure my smallest and at my navel because I have an annoying pooch right there lol. Hips is the largest point of your butt. Although, I agree as long as you measure the same place each time then you will still be able to measure progress.
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    HAHA Shawnalee. Oops.

Okay, so I should basically be measuring where my jeans sit and my entire backside. excellent. also, what other body measurements do folks take?
  • MsImperfect0
    MsImperfect0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i do waist, hips,arms, thighs and chest
  • slummymummy
    slummymummy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Your waist is measured halfway between the top of your hipbone and bottom of your ribcage - typically where you "go in" in the middle! Your hips are measured around the widest part of your hips - and yes, the tape measure will cross your backside (sorry!)

I also tend to measure around my naval crossing the tape measure in line with my belly button this is because I have quite a small waist but a bit of a pot belly! It's nice to know the weight is coming off my beer belly!

Always measure in your birthday suit - clothes will pull you in and give you a false reading. I find it helps to measure in front of a mirror so you can see the tape measure is straight.

Hope this helps!

Edit to clarify - you shouldn't measure the whole of your backside - just around the widest part of your hips. The tape measure will cut across probably the first couple of inches of your rear end.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I do my waist where it's the smallest. Not because I want the smallest number, but because that's where I was taught your true waist is in sewing classes. Your hips should be measured at the biggest part of your butt.

I also measure my neck, chest, thigh, calf, bicep, forearm and wrist. Doing all of these gives me a more complete picture of what's going on with my body and my fat loss.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kezziemc
    kezziemc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I also measure just under the bust where my bra sits. I often loose inches there but no where else.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    that's fat layers leaving your back!~ Hooray! Love that my bra size is dropping in ribcage but not in cup size :)
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    that's fat layers leaving your back!~ Hooray! Love that my bra size is dropping in ribcage but not in cup size :)
    Ditto! :) I am nearing 34 d! I was at one point a 38DD. And most constantly a 36 d. But yay for that ribcage measurement huh!;)
    I measure bust, bicep, 2 places at waist,.thighs, hips and neck. Although I have zero fat in my neck so haven't changed in some time.
    Everyone loses in different places, definitely!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I don't really measure because every time I do I have GAINED inches. I think I am just not measuring in the same spot but I am not sure how to make sure I measure in the same spot each time?

Anyway, besides trying to measure hips and waist, I measure chest size (band and cup size). I need to measure those again I guess, I can do a little better at getting the same spot there.
  • daybyday
    Options
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Waist measurement is actually at the smallest point even though that is much higher than most of us view our waist ..

Stand in front of a mirror and bend side to side... whereyou bend is where your waist is. I also measure across my belly button and call it my gut (or abdominal girth measurement).

Hops should be done at your fullest point of the hips - stand sideways in front of mirror to make sure the the tape is straight in the back.

Thighs are measured approx 6 inches below the groin crease for consistancy.

Other things you might want to measure...
    - Neck
    - Upper arms
    - Bust
    - Calves

Good luck measurement are great - make sure to take them 3 times to show that they are the same -- and dont look at last months measurements while you are doing your new ones so you arent swayed.. :)
  • cnichols6898
    Options
    By military standards waist is around your navel and hips are the largest part of your booty!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've been told the way to measure yourself is several places for each body part.

Like measure you chest across widest part and below bra strap, measure waist at smallest part at belly button and then below a few inches, hips at the bones and across butt at widest, thighs do the upper widest part and then closer to the knee.

It's nice because the inches don't only come off the biggest parts......they can come off the entire torso, limbs etc so it's nice to see where you lost the inches.
  • daybyday
    Options