Tilapia recipe needed...

Options
CorydonCutie
CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
Does anyone have a recipe for baking Tilapia that they would be willing to share? I have ZERO experience in cooking fish that isn't in a box. Just curious if any of you have a favorite that you could share.

Thanks...

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I guess the recipe that includes coating them in ranch seasoning and breadcrumbs and then frying them in butter is out of the question? :bigsmile:
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My family likes it simply baked. I spray a 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray. Put in a single layer of tilapia. Season to taste. For us, this generally means some dill, fresh-ground pepper, and squeeze some fresh lemon over it. (Go light on all these; it's easy to overpower the flavor of the fish.) Bake at 350 for...oh, not too long. About 15 minutes. (It doesn't take long. Tilapia fillets are generally pretty thin.)

Good luck. Sorry if you were looking for something fancier.

Oh! Try allrecipes.com. That's my go-to if I want something more than basic.
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Baked Tilapia -

This is not anyting you can find on the net. I do it very often as I am Filipina and it's a very common fish in the Philippines. I would bake the fish in 325F for about 25-35mins. I would rub a pinch of salt, black powdered pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and onion powder on th fish before baking it. I would serve it with light Miracle Whip, carrots, brocolli and cauliflower as sides. I love this with brown rice.

If you weren't on a strict diet - adding coconut milk on this baby is a fabulous treat!
  • CorydonCutie
    Options
    Yes Katy LOL...Fried is out the question albeit YUMMO!

Thanks for the recipe Geh...that is exactly what I was looking for. Just a general baked fish recipe. I was thinking of spraying it with some spray butter and putting some Ms. Dash Lemon Pepper on it. :)
  • kelly717
    Options
    Hi there..............
    I dip in egg/water mixture, then I coat with cracker meal............brown lightly on each side in a small amount of canola oil.........then my husband likes to put Kraft Light House Italian on top!! IT's really good and tasty!! good luck...........km:happy:
  • moniqueluv
    moniqueluv Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If I am not starving I usually pan fry with a little cooking spray. Season them before cooking with garlic salt and black pepper.

If I am busy and I want a one pot meal, I bake them. Use 10 minute brown rice and put that in a baking dish. Pu tilapia on top, add whatever frozen veggies you like. I usually add frozen pepper blends or some broccoli. Season to taste (usually garlic salt, or old bay is really good.) Put enough chicken broth just to cover rice and bake at 400 for 15-20 if thawed, 30 if frozen. Now you have whole meal! This is my favorite weeknight dish :-)
  • CorydonCutie
    Options
    Thank you K...I looked on Allrecipes and all I could find were dishes that were all saucy and high in calories. I didn't find just a basic baked fish recipe. Thanks for responding. Sounds delicious.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite fast tilapia recipe! If you like spicy food, this is so quick and easy.

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet in foil and put the fish vein-side up. Bake for a few minutes until it looks white. Flip it over and pour on some salsa. I generally cover it - maybe 3/4 cup of salsa. Bake for a few more minutes. Turn on the broiler, put some low-fat cheddar cheese on top, and broil it for about a minute until the cheese is nice and melty. In less than 15 minutes, you have spicy, yummy fish. It's great with brown rice, broccoli, or squash.
  • mamichulany
    Options
    If I am not starving I usually pan fry with a little cooking spray. Season them before cooking with garlic salt and black pepper.

If I am busy and I want a one pot meal, I bake them. Use 10 minute brown rice and put that in a baking dish. Pu tilapia on top, add whatever frozen veggies you like. I usually add frozen pepper blends or some broccoli. Season to taste (usually garlic salt, or old bay is really good.) Put enough chicken broth just to cover rice and bake at 400 for 15-20 if thawed, 30 if frozen. Now you have whole meal! This is my favorite weeknight dish :-)

ohhhh I'M GOIN TO TRY THIS.... sounds simple & tasty THX ;)
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Any recipe for cod would work well for tilapia.

My standard recipe for fish is simply to put portion-sized pieces on a sheet of aluminium foil (individually), add salt, pepper, a slice of lemon (or some lemon juice), a few drops of olive oil, a slice of onion, and herbs to taste (for example dill or basil, but I particularly like fresh mint or chilli flakes or chopped ginger/garlic mix). Fold it up, bake in the oven at 200°C/400°F for 20 min (or a little less -- tilapia is fragile).
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    oh tilapia is my favorite fish ever! i just take a filet and sprinkle some lemon pepper on it and it is very good. I also cut up some potatoes and bake them with the lemon pepper over them. They go great together. p.s. leave the peels on the potatoes for extra nutrients. All the nutrients is in the peels so dont take it off!
  • pinkprincessness
    pinkprincessness Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just salt and pepper each side then spray a pan with non stick spray and cook each side for a few minutes....maybe 3 min each side. Then squeeze some lemon juice over top. Simple, quick and YUMMY!!!
  • mamichulany
    Options
    2 tilapia filets
    4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    salt & pepper to taste
    3 garlic cloves
    sliced onions
    sliced green, orange, red, yellow peppers

Saute tilapia in olive oil with the above ingredients until cooked... slightly golden on both sides.
    Takes less than 15 minutes... Delish with salad or brown rice!
  • mighty_cow
    Options
    yes I do... i have a few so if you don't like this one let me know...
    ok! this is an orange spice Tilapia... pre 1 serving there is 237 cals, 3.1g total fat (0.9g mono, 0.8g ploy, 1.0g sat), 85mg cholesterol, 18g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 35g portein, 677mg sodium

1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp frozen concentrated orange juice, thawed
    1 tbsp dry mustard
    1 tbsp paprika
    1 tsp orange zest
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    2 whole tilapia (about 3/4 lb, 340g, each) pan ready

Combine first 8 ingredients in small bowl

make 3 diagonal slashes to the bone on each side of each fish. Rub outside AND cavity of each fish with orange mix
    chill, covered, for 1 hour.
    preheat gas b-b que to medium. cook fish on greased grill for about 7 minutes per side until fish flakes easily when tested with fork.

ok one more real fast...this one is sesame tilapia stir-fry
    for a one cup serving there is 326 calories; 17.7g total fat( 1.3g mono, 1.3g ploy, 1.6g sat); 57mg cholesterol' 14g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 27g protien; 482mg sodium

1 tbsp sesame oil (for flour)
    3 cups frozen oriental mixed vegetables
    1/4 cup sliced green onion

1 lb Tilapia fillets, any small bones removed,cut into 1 inch pieces
    1/2 cup sesame ginger salad dressing
    1 tbsp tahini ( sesame paste)

1 Tbsp sesame seeds toasted

Heat large frying pan or wok on medium- high until very hot. add sesame oil. add vegetables and green onion. stir- fry for about 4 minutes until vegetables are tender- crisp.

add next 3 ingredients. stir - fry for about 3 minutes untill fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds makes about 4 cups

this stir- fry is really good on a bed of noodles or with some rice, i hope this helped and good 'healthy' eats and enjoy (0_0)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I like to sprinkle it with some lemon juice and italian seasoning and bake it until flaky at 375 degrees (usually around 10 minutes)
  • caseymcq
    Options
    this is not baked, but i put the thawed tilapia in the frying pan that is sprayed with just a bit of olive oil spray. before i do that, i add cajun seasoning or blackening season to either side...not too much. just enough for it to have a little "bite".. then i cook on both sides for about 3-4 minutes or until the fish is flaky. Then i serve it on a serving of cooked brown rice with some kind of vegetable on the side, which is usually broccolli. :) easy peasy!
  • dennijo
    dennijo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe that I just tried and my husband loved it.

2 Tilapia fillets (or whatever fish you would like)
    1/2 can crab meat
    1/4 c. light mayo
    1/4 c. shredded fresh parmesean cheese
    1 tsp. lemon juice

Bake fish uncovered in greased pan at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes (until white & flaky). Mix crab, mayo, cheese and lemon juice in a bowl. When fish is done, top each fillet with crab meat mixture and broil for about 5 minutes (or until the crab mixture starts turning brown.

Of course, you can double the recipe for a family.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I am new to cooking fish too but made this one last summer and loved it!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Crunchy-Oven-Fried-Tilapia/Detail.aspx
  • cmrich0511
    Options
    We like to do a "Southwest" style tilapia.. My parents season some mayo (although I omit it personally-- hate mayo!) with cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, garlic powder & onion powder. They then lightly spread it in a thin layer on the filets, then lightly coat them with crushed cracker crumbs. Bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes, and you're good. If you like the idea of the mayo, you could use light mayo or even switch it out for fat free cream cheese spread.

Also, you could make pouches with parchment paper and season the fish with some salt, pepper, and garlic, and dice up veggies (carrots, squash, broccoli etc) and throw them in the pouch with a slice of lemon and bake them for the same amount of time. Your fish with come out with lots of flavors & veggies will be nice and tender.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I used the top one on this list and it was great. here is the link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2325881_cook-tilapia-easy-recipes.html