Wasabi Almonds...a great snack

Options
novatri
novatri Posts: 262 Member
I'm still tweaking this recipe based of Blue Diamond Wasabi Almonds. Trying to get the wasabi to pop.
Ingredients:
1 egg white
1 tbsp water (you'll need a little more later for the wasabi mix)
1 pound almonds/3 cups
2 tbsp wasabi powder (I'm trying 3 next time)
2 tsp coarse salt
2 tsp cornstarch

Preheat oven 275F.
Grease a baking sheet large enough to hold the almonds in a single layer.
Add egg white and water, 1 tbsp, together and wisk until foamy in a medium to large bowl.
Add the almonds and toss with a fork until good and coated.
Drain the almonds in a strainer/sieve, do not wash.

Combine wasabi powder, salt, and cornstarch and mix together.
THE TRICKY PART: slowly add a little water at a time and mix it until you get a pretty thick but smooth paste. Think cake frosting.
**Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it stand for 5 minutes, this is when the wasabi gets hot.**
Uncover bowl and add the almonds, again toss with a fork. If you get clumps on almonds just break them up so they all get an even coating.
You may tear up standing over the bowl, like cutting an onion.

Spread the almonds on to a greased/or parchment paper baking sheet in one layer.
Bake for 30 minutes
Flip the almonds and bake at 200F for 20 minutes.
Pull them out and let cool

Now you have a healthy snack, and the heat seems to make me eat less of them.

Replies

• queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I might just love you! I love wasabi peas the most but haven't gotten round to trying to make them cos I wasn't sure how to make the wasabi coating. Thank you so much - when I manage to find some wasabi powder I'm giving this a go :happy:
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    They sale it in Kroger, in the Asian food section. Also if there is a specialty cooking gadget store around you ask them where an Asian market is. There you can find several brands of the stuff, usually around the soy sauce/nori(seaweed) section