When do you eat your calories? How to break it down?...

Options
Hi everyone! I just wanted to know when people eat their calories?! What I mean is, I get 1200 a day and I usually break it down to about 150-200 for breakfast 200-300 for lunch and then 2 snacks of about 100 cals. When it comes time for dinner I make something (healthy) based on how many I have left AND if I have exercise calories to eat as well.

Yesterday my boyfriend, who means well, told me he thinks that I am overloading myself at the end of the day. He has seen what I make and "how much" I eat and he thinks it could be part of why I only lost a half of a pound last week. It is true, sometimes I have 700 + calories to eat for dinner and a late snack. I know there is research re: the fact that it doesn't matter when you eat your calories...

I have a hard time planning what to eat earlier in the day because I don't want to "run out" of calories. Every day I go to the gym and every day it is a surprise as to what I do. I know I should plan better as to what I'm going to work out on/with every day but I like to have variety and change things up if I am getting bored (ADHD big time here!)

So basically I am just wondering if people (specifically peeps on a 1200/cal day) break down their calories into a 400/400/400 for 3 meals or WHAT!? I want to hear what people are doing and if anyone has anything to BACK IT UP that would be greatly appreciated! I am a nerd and am all about evidence based practice for things :)

Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    your tummy doesn't have a clock attached to it. I eat most of my calories for dinner, the same way you've described here, and I have lost 50 lbs.

The net calories are the important number, not what the clock has to say.

(the only caveat for this comment is, if you eat a lot right before trying to sleep, you'll disturb your sleep as your body works to digest instead of being able to shut down fully and go deeply into sleep. So to protect your sleep, not your waistline, try to stop eating a few hours before sleeping.)
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    50 lbs! wow, congrats!! :) I LOVE your dogs too! Thank you, I kind of wanted to keep my life as it was and not eat 1-200 calories for dinner, lol.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I basically eat my calories when I'm hungry throughout the day but I do end up eating the majority of my calories in the evening at dinner and I try to save some for evening snacks as that is my downfall and is when I find myself most hungry. I know that I have read that it is best to eat most of your calories at lunch and lighter in the evening but I'm not sure if that is true or not or if it really matters. IT might make a difference on the scale as you would have more time to work it off but I can't seem to do that, it's just not realiastic for me since I'm a night eater. Good luck in finding your answer!
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    200 breakfast

100 snack

200 lunch

100 snack

500 dinner

100 snack

That is the schedule my friend uses then she alters them based on exercise and when she does it ... like early exercise allows her to up her lunch and or dinner ... etc etc
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I try to eat about 2000 calories a day. So I break them down 500 for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Leaving me 500 for any snacks between meals or extra food I want.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    tell him that as long as you are burning more calorie than you consume that is all that matters. it does not matter when you eat. dinner is my biggest meal. sometimes i will even eat something light before bed and i'm losing weight. eating throughout the day just keeps your blood sugar on an even keel and keep hunger pangs from kicking in.
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i do things the same as you and i've lost 50......but ive wondered if it matters because my weightloss has kinda stopped....i eat light all day long and save majority of cals for dinner because my husband is picky and hard to cook for!!
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I tend to know what I'm having each day when you have 6 kids and a husband to feed you have to be organised part and part of the job (mum and childminder) I do tend to find I eat more cals for my dinner than I do for lunch and breakfast but because I eat dinner at 5pm I'm not too worried as I know I have plenty of time before I go to bed. if I eat after 5 it normally fruit or carrot sticks and I only drink water after 7pm x
  • misty1208
    Options
    I wondered the same thing... Dinner tends to be my larger meal of the day, and i actually prefer it that way. Seems to be working just fine too! :)
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    I've always eaten the bigger part of my calories for dinner and a later snack and It didn't seem to slow my weight loss. I say eat when your bodies needs to, I think most of us eat a bigger part of our calories for dinner.
  • cassidystreasures
    Options
    some weeks are going to be differnt than others also. Some weeks you might lose 2 lbs, some weeks you might lose none. Closer to your TOM may seem your weight loss is slowing or none at all due to bloating ect, but when it's over everything will take off again
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I aim a little higher overall -- 1450-1500 cals -- but if you exercise, you should get the same with exercise calories on many days.

My approach is to try to get 300-450 calories at breakfast with a good amount of protein to set me up for the day. Then about 350-500 for each lunch and dinner, plus two 100-200cal snacks.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I usually average about 2000 a day, and nearly 1000 of those come after 6:00pm when I get home from work. Usually a 500 dinner a 250 pre-workout snack and a 250 post workout snack. Worked for me so far. :-)
  • yolandita
    yolandita Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    To be honest with you, eating a big meal on my last meal does reduce my weight loss. For example, I would lose .05 of a pound if I eat 500 cals in my last meal. However, when I eat a snack of 45-100 cals I tend to lose the whole pound. One day when I plateued, I just stopped eating after 6:00 and noticed consistent loss. I think everything depends on the person but there is truth to what your boyfriend told you, atleast for me anyway. Hope this helps:)
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I eat all my calories between 4PM and 8PM. Works fine for me to have one really good meal at the end of the work day.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I have 1500-1900, depending on exercise.

I try to get about 250-300 for breakfast, though I admit this is my least steady number and the one I have to work at the most.
    About 350-500 for lunch
    Dinner is usually 500-700.
    Usually a 200-300 cal snack after my workout in the evening.

This works for me, as it gives me enough cals for the day, without much worry about going over or too far under.

I have seen nothing (that I believe is backed up) that indicates when you get your amount of cals matters, other than it effecting sleep, as someone else mentioned. The only thing that may make a difference is that it is a good idea to make sure to get some good protein and fats in the morning, and also after your workout. Other than that, I don't think the amount at a certain time of day matters, as long as you are getting a good spacing to keep blood sugar running and trying to follow the same kind of schedule each day. Just my opinion (based on the studies I've read.)
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback :)
  • TMack3
    TMack3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat all my calories between 4PM and 8PM. Works fine for me to have one really good meal at the end of the work day.

Please explain? Are you saying you do not eat breakfast or lunch?
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    tell him that as long as you are burning more calorie than you consume that is all that matters. it does not matter when you eat. dinner is my biggest meal. sometimes i will even eat something light before bed and i'm losing weight. eating throughout the day just keeps your blood sugar on an even keel and keep hunger pangs from kicking in.
    I second this - I actually eat close to 2000 calories a day because I burn so much through exercise. However, I'm hungriest at night and that is when I'm likely to graze/binge. So at 7 pm I have a piece of fruit. At 8 pm I have a veggie (usually tomatoes with onion and light dressing), eat my dinner at 9pm. Then I always have a snack before bedtime (11:30 pm) - usually skim milk with fruit or a 100 calorie pack if I'm craving something sweet or salty. And if I need to have another snack between dinner and my bedtime snack- I always build that in just in case the munchies start.

So while many are cringing in horror that I eat so much late at night, it certainly hasn't had a negative effect on my weight loss. I think it comes down to calories in vs. calories out. Have to burn more than you consume. Time of day does not matter. Quality of calories matters for health reasons and if you blow 500 calories on a sundae what happens when you get hungry later on, but I don't worry about the times.
  • Curves73
    Curves73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    my trainer said to have 200-250 per meal( six small meals) Works for me. But I sometimes have more here and there.