how to shift a podgy belly?

Options
I am quite happy with the rate I am losing weight and I can feel a difference in my legs and arms and see the difference in my face but my belly is a real problem. I have quite a pot belly and it is just not getting any smaller. I do not have any muscle there as I tried to do stomach crunches but I can't even manage one. I just don't have the strength to do them at all

Does anyone know of any other things I can try to gety belly fat away?

Replies

• CSK1981
    CSK1981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know that to!!
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do sit ups. It's really frustrating I can't even do one!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    it is impossible to "spot" lose fat. CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO will reduce body fat (ie. belly fat). also... avoid artificial sugars as they tend to cause belly bloat. lots of water too.... and stay away from simple carbs, increase protein.

but otherwise, pure sweat.... for me... the belly is the FIRST to come back and the LAST to go.
  • danyelpink
    danyelpink Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
    it is impossible to "spot" lose fat. CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO will reduce body fat (ie. belly fat). also... avoid artificial sugars as they tend to cause belly bloat. lots of water too.... and stay away from simple carbs, increase protein.

but otherwise, pure sweat.... for me... the belly is the FIRST to come back and the LAST to go.
  • Duliebob
    Options
    Something that I am finding is that doing balance exercise with weight helps tighten the core. I was having trouble with my pot belly until recently, while it is still there, it doesn't show so bad because the abs are getting better tone.

My exercises include digging holes, pulling hedges, chipping and scraping ice from sidewalks, shoveling snow, and walking on ice. All of these require your core to be strong. It also helps the back too if you're careful on your lifts. Work your way into it.

If you need a place to shovel snow, we have 5 inches on the way here :-P
  • CSK1981
    CSK1981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do sit ups. It's really frustrating I can't even do one!

That problem i don't have, i can do plenty of sit ups, it's just if you have that layer of fat there, it's like what's the point
  • Duliebob
    Options
    Oh yeah, everything that I did for the core was pretty much cardio, working all the muscle groups a little at a time, except during the biggest lifts of dirt or snow.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    it is impossible to "spot" lose fat. CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO will reduce body fat (ie. belly fat).

Exactly what she said. Crunches won't have any impact on your abdominal fat.

However, if you currently can't even manage 1 crunch, you might want to do them anyway, together with other core strengthening exercises such as planks -- strength training during weight loss is a *good* thing.
  • butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've been told that's often the last place that goes :(