How bad is sushi for you?

Options
In a bit I'm going with the family to a great buffet that has sushi. I'm pretty big into sushi and know I'll be hitting it a few times. There are plenty of other things there as well. They have great Teriyaki Chicken. I'm sure everything there is great lol.

I'm thinking I'll try to keep track of how many pieces I eat and figure it all as California rolls. I guess this is my cheat meal for the week.

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I was told to ask for mine to be made with brown rice and limit the sauces.

Used the search...you might find more info
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    one nigiri sushi (so NOT the california roll, because that's bigger and has stuff like mayo and avocado in it) is about 60 calories. I'm talking about a bite size bit of rice with some raw fish on it
    teriyaki usually has a marinade and a glaze that has lots of sugar or honey so that will be more calories. I had dinner at a sushi place the other night and tracked using the MFP iphone app: many many sushi variants in there.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I usually get the california roll, ell, philly, a few others I cant think of the names, and Tuna. I love me some raw tuna.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Sushi isn't bad for you, as long as you stay away from anything tempura (that means fried). I have sushi at least once a week and have managed to stay on track with my weight loss since late May.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Not all sushi is created equal. I am a HUGE sushi fan, especially spicy tuna rolls and maguro. Just remember that fish is naturally high in sodium. The raw fish by itself isn't so bad, but if you like all the specialty rolls that have spicy mayo, tempura flakes, etc. I would not count them as just a california roll. Sushi is probably better than half of the stuff you may eat at the buffet though. Good luck!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sushi. Definitely my down fall. But, as others have said, limit the sauces and try to get brown rice when possible.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The teriyaki chicken would probably be a worse choice due to the sodium, sugar and calories in the sauce.

As others have said, just pay attention to what's in the rolls you're getting and you should be fine. There are a lot of rolls already in the database as well, not just California rolls. But I've also pieced out rolls ingredient by ingredient to add them in if I couldn't find a specific roll in the database.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i try to stick to sashimi, which doesn't appear to be as bad as sushi. you can get lots of protein, but beware of the rice and the soy sauce!

i like to have a cup of miso soup beforehand - helps fill me up so i don't eat as much. there's a lot of sodium in it though, so i wouldn't eat more than a cup.
  • novatri
    Options
    This thread is just making me more hungry! I hope I find Miso soup there. I love that too :)
  • antipholous
    Options
    Sushi can be pretty healthy, actually. You just have to make sure to eat the non sweet ones (I really dislike them anyway) and to watch how much you eat. I'm full after around 6, but I could eat 18, haha.
  • aesoprok
    Options
    Mmmm miso soup :love: If you make your own sushi you'll have a lot more control of the calories. And it's fun! I found an inexpensive sushi making kit complete with a recipe book at Barnes and Noble, now i make it at home once a week.
  • novatri
    Options
    I think that's my last cheat day for this month. It got me thinking though. We are the only country that has buffets that I know of. It was interesting to watch different people and what/how much food they got. I'm not trying to stereotype, but most of the Asian people started with a small cup of soup then went on to crawdads. And most of the Caucasians did the exact opposite.

When I started to diet I had a future goal to head towards. An ideal image of what I wanted to be. After tonight I'm more trying to move away from what I was.
  • novatri
    Options
    P.S. My fortune cookie says "Your road to glory will be rocky, but fulfilling."
  • Shwauren
    Options
    I get the tuna roll :D its perfect or the avocado roll. just stick with the basics, nothing with any kind of sauce.
    I also go with Sashimi!
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sushi is actually VERY good for you. It's packed with Omega-3 fatty acids which are great for your heart and other things and which most people don't get enough of. And lots of it is the best kind of protein (lean) which is exactly what a large percentage of your daily calories should be from. The only down side is the mercury thing and I wouldn't worry about that. Sashimi is better because there's no rice (brown vs. white in this case really makes very little difference), though the amount of rice is pretty small. The sodium issue isn't a big deal, better to skip the miso soup and processed food with sodium and get it from sushi. And seaweed is full of vitamins. If sushi is your "downfall" you're in pretty good shape!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Oooh yum.. I try to stick to straight up sashimi - that white sticky rice is a killer for me (long, mean, sustained carbs...lol)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I eat sushi often enough and my meals are always around 300 calories for 12 peices. I like avacado rolls and california rolls though. I sometimes eat the tuna or salmon rolls but not since I've been on MFP so I don't know calorie intake on those.

Soy sauce is what you have to be wary of.....the SODIUM is rediculous. I actually eat most of mine just plain.

Oh and sushi is good for you!
  • gethealthygetfit
    Options
    Sushi isn't bad for you, actually it is pretty good for you. Just makes sure to track everything. Maybe research the calories of everything before you go so you already have an idea. Do you have the MFP app on your phone? That thing is so amazing because I use it while I am out to eat. That way I know how much I am eating while I am eating rather than waiting until afterwards. It's always good to go with a plan.
  • Charrisse
    Charrisse Posts: 163
    Options
    o m g Im craving now... lol
    Green tea and bed for meeeeeee ahhhhhhhhh
  • novatri
    Options
    Sushi is actually VERY good for you. It's packed with Omega-3 fatty acids which are great for your heart and other things and which most people don't get enough of. And lots of it is the best kind of protein (lean) which is exactly what a large percentage of your daily calories should be from.

It was buffet so I ate to much. It was tasty, but now I feel like Violet Beauregarde.