Bone Mass

Options
I just bought a WW scale that reads, Body Fat, Bone Mass, and Body Water percentage. Is having high bone mass percentage a bad thing? I would think that the higher the bone mass the better you are.

Replies

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a bad thing...the more dense your bones are the more healthy they are and the less chance you have of any of the bone density diseases later on. Although I know having a larger frame will keep you from fitting into some sizes...I was told by my docs that I may never get below a 14 thanks to my bone structure. LOL
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That is just how you are. I don't believe you can change that.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I agree, I don't believe that is something you can change!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I just bought a WW scale that reads, Body Fat, Bone Mass, and Body Water percentage. Is having high bone mass percentage a bad thing? I would think that the higher the bone mass the better you are.

Yes, the higher, the better.

I have the same one for two years now. The instructions said that anything above 7.5 was excellent for my age group. After I started taking Osteo-Biflex for my knee trouble and then exercising I saw my reading go from 7.5 to 8.1.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options

I have the same one for two years now. The instructions said that anything above 7.5 was excellent for my age group. After I started taking Osteo-Biflex for my knee trouble and then exercising I saw my reading go from 7.5 to 8.1.

interesting . . . my scale says my bone density is on the low side . . . and I'm a large bone frame. Is that a bad thing??

Hey, did Osteo-Biflex help your knee issues? The older I get, the more running and high impact sports tend to mess, just one of my knees up . . . tendon issues, I'm assuming. Anyhoo, thinking about supplementing for it. thoughts?
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Well then that's good for me, high for my age group is 8.6, and I am at 9.9. I guess my mom was right when she told me, I wasn't fat I was just big boned. I still have a bunch of weight to lose though.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options

interesting . . . my scale says my bone density is on the low side . . . and I'm a large bone frame. Is that a bad thing??
    Hey, did Osteo-Biflex help your knee issues? The older I get, the more running and high impact sports tend to mess, just one of my knees up . . . tendon issues, I'm assuming. Anyhoo, thinking about supplementing for it. thoughts?

I had .... I say "had" knee issues from all the kneeling I did as a carpenter. When I wanted to start running, the pharmacist at GNC said I would feel a difference after only a week and after a month I would have no trouble running. He was right! I run 6 miles a day and have no issues from my joints.

I use the triple strength and I get it at Walmart - $20 for 80 doses.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options

I had .... I say "had" knee issues from all the kneeling I did as a carpenter. When I wanted to start running, the pharmacist at GNC said I would feel a difference after only a week and after a month I would have no trouble running. He was right! I run 6 miles a day and have no issues from my joints.

I use the triple strength and I get it at Walmart - $20 for 80 doses.

Oh, thats a good price . . . thanks for the info!! I wanna run 6 miles a day . . . I'm lucky if I have a great 5 mile run every two weeks at this point . . . flippin' knee! Thank you, again!
  • merrillanderson137
    Options
    I have a Vitagoods digital body analyzer that reports bone mass percentage. Where can I get bench marks by gender, age, etc? I don't know how to interpret my reading. Thanks!
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    It's good to know because then you know how much weight on you is actually fat and muscle and so forth. And bone isn't something you can change, but if they are strong, then you will have less issues later.
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing. Too little bone mass = brittle bones. Exercise actually helps maintain bone health. =D So woohoo!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    How do these scales actually work? Are they really that accurate?
  • sctlvrdl
    sctlvrdl Posts: 3
    Options

Having a large frame doesn't mean you necessary have good bone density. You may want to consider supplementation for bone density like calcuim and other things like that...