Breathing during jogging...

MrsFoster18
MrsFoster18 Posts: 125 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I am new to jogging/running. I have been walking on the treadmill for the past month and recently started some intervals of jogging in there. What I am wondering is if there is some technique to breathing while running so I don't feel so out of breath!!! Sometimes I feel like I have stop just because of that! Does it just get better with time or is there a technique?!?!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I was told by a friend and my husband (both Marines) that it's best to breathe with this pattern: in, in, out, out. Each one of those is a step.
  • bp1984
    bp1984 Posts: 38 Member
    i tend to take deep long breathes through my nose and exhale out my mouth when jogging if i feel short of breath i put my hands behind my head "interlocking fingers" and this will help expand your lung compacity to draw in more air :)
  • i've heard of the in-in, out-out as well...i've tried it and it's all about remembering and getting conditioned to do it...also, there may be a thing w/your health...have you considered bronchial problems, like asthmatic issues because of exercise? some people only have breathing problems when they're working out, and there's a certain medicine that can help...i'm not into medicines, but I know of this (I'm a med student) and you should get checked out just in case...it can only be for the good : )
  • laurie_powers
    laurie_powers Posts: 103 Member
    I breathe in and out regularly, but if you are quickly running out of breath, maybe try slowing your pace a bit until you build up more stamina. It gets easier as you go, and before you know it, you'll look up and you've started running longer distances without discomfort. :)
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    I have chronic lung problems, and my pulmonologist and respiratory therapist recommend breathing in through your nose and blowing forcefully out through your mouth. They refer to it as "Smell the roses; blow out the candles" if that makes sense. I usually breathe in for 2-3 strides, and out for 2-3. If I get winded, I'll switch to a 2-2 pattern. If you feel you must open-mouth pant, or being "air hungry" as they call it, slow down for a bit and just breathe through it - it usually passes. Good luck!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Unless you have pulmonary problems, the "gasping" is almost certainly due to the fact that your running speed is too high for your current fitness level.

Slow your speed, shorten your running intervals for now and build up your endurance first. You need to establish the appropriate workload before trying any "breathing techniques". It will also be easier to relax, which helps both form and breathing.

Running is high-intensity work. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't come easily at first.
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Bump.
This discussion has been closed.