College Student

Options
Does any one have any tips for how to eat healthy as a college student? It seems like everywhere I go there's junk food or fried food, or soda, etc. And when I go to the dinning commons everything they have is delicious, but so many calories! What should I do?

Replies

• mfergie889
    Options
    I never took the traditional college route of living on campus, so I can only imagine what a challenge that would be. My only advice would be to make your own sandwich for lunch and make your own snack mix (cereal, pretzels, nuts) to bring to class as a snack. Unless you work out all the time, you just need to avoid the pizza and chicken nuggets, etc.
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    Does any one have any tips for how to eat healthy as a college student? It seems like everywhere I go there's junk food or fried food, or soda, etc. And when I go to the dinning commons everything they have is delicious, but so many calories! What should I do?
    Can you make your own meals at home, or at least try to replace breakfast and lunch at home to save calories? I gave up soda, I only drink water with meals and I have fat free milk in my smoothies and cereal and that's a very easy way to save on calories! I'm in college too, feel free to add me and good luck!
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    How big is your college? Is it a small college with only a cafeteria and fast food options, or is it a larger university with more food court choices? At a larger school, I often got a low-cal fruit smoothie (and sometimes an unsalted pretzel also) for lunch.

The good thing about cafeterias is that they always have salad bars. Get a salad with every meal. Helps fill you up with fiber and very few calories! If you can get lots of veggies and maybe a little meat from the sandwich station, you can probably make a tasty salad without dressing.

Get some healthy things to eat in your dorm. Rice cakes are a good bet -- very filling, and only about 50 calories. Carry a big reusable bottle of water with you to classes and around campus. Keep it filled and next to you when you're in your dorm studying, too!
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    PS -- When there are lots of dips around, choose salsa. Could be good for sandwiches and salads too to avoid high-calorie dressings. And when you go to parties at other friends' dorms, don't bring cookies or chips like everyone else. Make a veggie plate or fruit salad. (Everyone will appreciate the break!)
  • Outlast717
    Options
    Good tips guys! Thanks so much!

My school is pretty small, so our cafeteria options aren't the greatest. I've been doing what I can - cutting out soda, eating low-cal breakfast bars, drinking water, etc.

I'm just glad that this site came into my life! No one around me is really supportive of my diet, so I'm glad there are some people out there that are!