Not meaning to ruffle feathers.....

Options
It seems that my post this morning about cheat days was met with scrutiny. If you one of those folks that it works for, then by all means, do it. However, if you're like some of the rest of us, it's just not a good idea. I can live and function just fine without junk. I've always been unhealthy in this respect and I'm doing everything I can to make good food choices, and smaller portions. I also understand about giving your metabolism a jump start. I'm just one of these people who become obsessed with not eating junk as it is a real challenge for me. I've done well and lost 10 pounds so far. We all have our own opinions about things and what works for their personal situation. So, if I've offended anyone, I apologize. I know we are all here for the same reason. Best of luck and blessings to all.

Interestingly, thought, after that post, I got 5 friend requests. Hmmmm......kindred spirits. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• chrish1981
    Options
    Hey, you have to do what works for you!!

Cheat days work for some, not for others. It's all good. :-)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Amen Sista!

If we are all here to achieve optimal health, having a cheat day defeats the purpose! I believe in the same you believe in as well.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any cheat days yet. lol...junk food doesn't sound good!
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different! Do what works for you! And also what works for you now might not be what works for you in 6 months so one never knows! If only there was a set "formula"!
  • manathemute
    Options
    I have realized if I do a cheat day I can never get back on my diet so its best to not have a cheat day even though yeah it can help some but I tend to over eat and I am a compulsive binge eater its not good for me.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: the longer I eat healthy foods the less I am interested in fatty, salty, or sugary foods......my body demands nutrition and moderation.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Just like everything in life, there's no one-size-fits-all approach that works for everyone. :flowerforyou: If what you're doing is working for you, that's great. If someone else finds having a splurge day works for them, that's great, too.

Personally, I'm somewhere in between. I still enjoy my splurge foods, but in moderation. I have half a red velvet cake leftover from a birthday party. I wanted a slice tonight, but didn't have the calories left over. So I had half a slice. Not having anything "off limits" is what works best for me.
  • mactac
    mactac Posts: 3
    Options
    I just started my weight loss after having three babies in 4 yrs I'm ready to get back to looking like the old me. But what I really wanted to say was congrats on loosing the 10 pounds and keep it up. I have to not eat the junk food as well. Glad to see someone else out there needing to avoid like I do. Go weight loss.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to weigh in on the last post but I'm with ya. I can't have real "cheat"days where I just go all out because it's a slippery slope for me and it's too hard to get back on that proverbial wagon. It's easier to stay on the wagon all the time and if I NEED some junk it's brought on the wagon in small portions. :wink:

Keep doing what works for you and you'll reach your goals. :drinker:
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm also another who doesn't believe in really having a cheat day once a week like some.. that's a personal choice, neither is right or wrong. I believe indulging in something in a correct portion size and fitting it into your daily diary is crucial. I've been on here for 2 weeks and haven't really eaten anything unhealthy at all, and don't really want to. We're all here for the same things, sad that even here people are judging lol
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the earlier post, but I think it is about learning to be healthy and that includes learning how to eat in moderation. If I way something a little higher cal or sodium I take redpondibilt for it. But that said I see your point. I steered off course over the holidays and had a hard time getting back on track. AS long as we recognize that we are all different and accountable to ourselves we should all be respectful and support each other!
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    It's doesn't offend me and I am firm believer in the cheat day. It's how I kept my weight off for years, after losing 60 + lbs. However my cheat day is not eating junk, it's the day that if I do eat a little more and go over, because my husband and I went out for steak and I had a beer, I am not going to sweat it. I work hard. Most people with cheat days, not only count caloric intake for daily, but also weekly,.. and with my exercise I am never over on my "cheat day"... That's what a cheat day is for me is.

Now, I don't believe you should eat a whole cake on your cheat day or half a dozen donuts, as I have seen some do. But as with my last cheat day which was Saturday, I had two beers and an extra helping of pretzel crisps while watching the game w/my husband. But it works for some, others it doesn't... so you are right about that. We all have our issues with food and have to find the way in which we, on a individual level can deal with our food/weight loss issues. Not every plan works for all people, because we are all individuals.

I had a accident and well I gained weight after it, due to being laid up, and now I am struggling to get that weight off. But it works for me to have that one day that I know if I do go over it's okay. I have something to look forward to. It doesn't mean I go nuts and eat lots of junk, I still try and eat healthy. It's just maybe I deserve that little something extra for working so hard.

:flowerforyou:

Good Luck - Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend :wink:
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I have been here over 25 days and I have tracked everything every day. We don't eat out much but when we do than I will allow myself a cheat meal. I just don't have to plan cheat items.......Everybody is different and you shouldn't feel bad for voicing your opinion. What works for you might not work for me........I like salty you may like sweet. Some love meat some are vegetarians. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT with most having the same goal weight loss.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think the happy medium lies in the definition of "cheat".

I personally think that to go to the extreme in either direction is a mistake, and sets you up for failure. For me, part of losing the weight is learning what my happy medium is. If I'm wanting a slice of pizza, I pick the healthiest, veggie laden thin crust I can find, and then I enjoy it. Same thing for sweets or crunchies or a special occasion. I don't want food to rule my life- I want to rule it.

In the end, I want my perspective to be as healthy as my bod, so we can both stay that way. :happy:
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    We all have to do what works for us. And, not everyone has the same idea of "cheat days." When I used to diet (and failed), my cheat days would always be really bad junk food. Now, I just don't have much of a desire for junk food.

So, I still have some "cheat" days occasionally, but that just really means that I allow myself to go over my daily 1275 calories. But, I'm generally not eating "junk" food - just more food than usual.
  • jules_lives_outloud
    Options
    I don't look at it as cheating, I look at it as what am I willing to work harder for. Chances are I don't want to work it off, so chances are I won't eat it. In my profession, we practice mindfulness- that is being in the moment, not in the past nor in the future, simply in the moment. I have resolved that if something like that is worth eating at that moment, it's worth savoring and enjoy every moment of the experience. Different strokes for different folks, and causing uproars bc someone thinks differently, boo.
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    We all have to do what works for us. And, not everyone has the same idea of "cheat days." When I used to diet (and failed), my cheat days would always be really bad junk food. Now, I just don't have much of a desire for junk food.

So, I still have some "cheat" days occasionally, but that just really means that I allow myself to go over my daily 1275 calories. But, I'm generally not eating "junk" food - just more food than usual.

Exactly, me too and when people devour a whole cake on their cheat day, I think that is a binge day not a cheat day.. now a piece of cake that has thrown you over, that's a cheat day...
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any cheat days yet. lol...junk food doesn't sound good!

Cheat day or treat day does not mean JUNK FOOD. It means go over on your cals once in a while. It is a way to TRANSITION from bad food choices to good ones. I eat good foods all the time and my treat day is just that... go over on cals with GOOD food. It's not a license to kill.

Read the book: Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto. It is explained very clearly in there. Here's a review:
    http://www.fitnesstipsforlife.com/burn-the-fat-feed-the-muscle-complete-review.html
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to find their own balance, but using cheat and diet is setting people up for failure.. Make overall good choice and have an occasional indulgence and all will be right in the world..
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    Its funny when people make a fuss about cheat days. Yeah, i think its good to bear in mind that what works for one doesnt work for all. For me, eating healthy involves making better food choices, but nothing is off limits in the sense that i eat just about everything i still eat but with moderation cos i want my weight loss to be sustainable. I am just more aware of how i prepare it and portion sizes. So the word cheat days dont exist in my food dictionary cos i am not depriving myself in the first place. i am just making better choices and healthy substitutes.

P.S i think i shd say at this point that i hardly eat out (eat out once in a while) and i have almost always cook from scratch. So if you eat out alot, this may not apply to u

Good luck everyone