Hello from Ireland.

Options
Hey all,
Just joined today because i wana lose weight :D.. I don't really know much abt it
but im gona give it 100%.. I have been on a diet of nothing but fruit for the last 2
weeks and i've lost 8 pounds, (tho i feel awful and can't sleep lol)...

Well look foward to meeting u guys and can't w8 to hear what u have to say on
the subject.. :tongue:

Replies

• malganisprime
    Options
    Hey all,
    Just joined today because i wana lose weight :D.. I don't really know much abt it
    but im gona give it 100%.. I have been on a diet of nothing but fruit for the last 2
    weeks and i've lost 8 pounds, (tho i feel awful and can't sleep lol)...

Well look foward to meeting u guys and can't w8 to hear what u have to say on
    the subject.. :tongue:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    hello, Ireland! Wow, fruit only for two weeks? I'll bet you are feeling awful right now. I hope you decide to get some other nutrients soon....how did you happen to start on "all fruit"?

Good luck getting some sleep....

cmriverside
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    First thing Welcome I am glad you have joined us.
    Second thing right out of the box. It is no wonder you feel bad and can’t sleep. The way you are eating is going to do that to you. You have GOT to eat a balanced diet of no less then 1200 calories. Since you are a young male I would say you should have no less then 1500 to 1800 calories a day…..maybe even more…. If you don’t get enough calories you will not lose as well as you will when you eat what your body needs just to function daily…things like breathing, heart beat etc…... And you are more likely to gain the weight back losing it the way you are. And I KNOW you don’t want to gain it back. No one wants to do that.
    Your body has GOT to have more then just fruit. Eating the way you are will break your health.
    Another thing you need to make sure you do is drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. When I don’t drink all my water I don’t lose as well as I do.
    I want to you feel better and win the weight loss battle and I know you CAN do it.
    Again Welcome it’s great to have you with us and I look forward to seeing you on the boards.
    Good Luck!
    Loretta :flowerforyou:
  • malganisprime
    Options
    Well, i heard fruit diets worked a treat, so i decided to give it a go.. To be honest there are good results, and there are some crappy side effects.. The sleep is one and the bad mood is another.. The worst of all is going to the gym with no enery lol, makes a good work out a stressful ordeal i find.. I appreciate all ur input guys, believe it or not i am taking it all on board.. ty
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    Are you taking any supplements or dinking any protein shakes?
  • malganisprime
    Options
    No just water.. why should i be ?
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    Yes, really your body needs protein as well as other nutrients. What you are doing really scares me. I do hope you feel better soon. Dieting shouldn’t make you feel bad and have no energy. You can eat a balanced diet, still lose weight, feel great while doing it and have the energy you need to work out. The reason you feel so bad is because your body is in need of something other then just fruit.
    I really do hope you fell better soon and get some rest. Your body need the rest also.
    Please do take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    Well, i heard fruit diets worked a treat, so i decided to give it a go.. To be honest there are good results, and there are some crappy side effects.. The sleep is one and the bad mood is another.. The worst of all is going to the gym with no enery lol, makes a good work out a stressful ordeal i find.. I appreciate all ur input guys, believe it or not i am taking it all on board.. ty

Ty, many of us lost 5-15 pounds in the first week - the results you are seeing can happen even if you are eating all kinds of food (as you should be). You are going to be burning lean muscle for energy if you don't get some protein - soon. Loretta is right, you are putting your health at risk, and what you want to focus on is good nutrition and burn more calories than you eat. On my workout days, I often eat up to 2000 calories depending on how many calories I burn during the workout. (I am a woman, with less muscle & more fat by virtue of being female!) Workouts should be fun and make you feel awesome!

It will help you to answer the "Diet Profile" questions here on your home page, and whatever the recommended "calories>carbs>fats>protein" percentages you are given, use them for a month and see if you don't lose weight. You will, and you'll feel great!

Stay with us, we are all learning from one another.

~Cheryl
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ok Mal, here it is from a guy's side who has been doing this for a few months and it has worked GREAT (I love this site and everyone on here).

For us, there are some specific things that can be done to increase your health and help you slim down at the same time. Don't fool yourself, you may be loosing weight, but like the ladies before me said, you are doing it in a very dangerous way.

1st, use the goal wizard on this site, and find out what you should be eating calorie wise every day. You should be close to that caloric intake every day (its a guide, you can be 100 or 150 off in 1 direction or another and it won't hurt as long as the average is about right). Like they said before me, if you don't get enough calories, you go into starvation mode, your body conserves fat and burns lean muscle (not good), you do this while getting all of your food groups and you will feel less moody and stronger. Also, don't eat all your food in 1 or 2 big meals, try to spread out your meals throughout the day, and don't eat a large meal right at the end of the day, try to make your last meal a smallish one.

Sounds to me like your getting very little protein and very little fat. You need a certain amount of both of these to be healthy. There are some great posts on the food and nutrition section that can help you out on not only what to eat, but how to prepare meals and snacks to bring with you throughout the day.

The ugly truth is, Fad diets usually give the illusion of working because they shock the body, so the first few weeks or months, the body looses weight just out of sheer confusion and stress. In the long run, organs and tissue are damaged with the loss of essential nutrients.

Trust me, caloric intake regulation/exercise works, it may not be drastic weight loss quickly, but it's healthy weight loss and lifestyle change that helps make you stay healthy in the long run!
    best of luck!
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Ireland!

I just wanted to add my 'weight' to what everyone is saying. When I started, I had miscalculated my calorie goals adn made them too low for my activity levels. After a couple of weeks I was really lethargic. I had no trouble sleeping like you are. In fact, I could barely drag myself out of bed, which is opposite to my normal 'morning-person' type of behaviour.

Overall I just felt like crap. And this was while still using the board to track nutrients and make sure I was getting enough of everything. I can only imagine how you are really feeling eating only a single food group.

The Food Guide has not changed in like a million years. You do need all those food groups for your health. Hopefully, you'll soon be feeling much better using the tools at hand here and the advice of these knowledgeable folks to get on to your goals. :smile:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    :happy: Welcome. Ireland is a beautiful country and we look forward to hearing about your journey.

Eve:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • malganisprime
    Options
    Ty all.. I really appreciate the advice because i really am lost when it comes to this stuff.. I must admit i did not expect this kind of welcome or support.. I am pleasantly suprised :smile:
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    We are really glad to have you here with us. :flowerforyou: