Guess I should watch how I portray myself

Options
peej76
peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
My 6 year old was getting dresssed yesterday- a pair of black cargo shorts and his jersey (he had t-ball last night) After he got dressed, he got all mad, so I asked him what was wrong. He said, I look like an idiot in these clothes! I was astounded, I mean he's six and he's a boy. I honeslty didn't think little boys really cared what they dressed in first of all, second of all, I'm thinking why is such a young child so distubed about how he looks? Then it came to me....someone has been listening too closely to mommy when she's getting dressed. I realy need to start being positive around him as far as body image is concerned, it breaks my heart when kids start focusing on whether they look good enough or not! And I want better for him. You think you've finally got all the parenting answers then all of a sudden something else comes and bites you on the butt! I hate negativity when it comes out of other peoples mouths, so if I want my children to grow up thinking about things positively it's time to practice what I preach!! Why do they only listen to you when they shouldn't be lol!!

Replies

• peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old was getting dresssed yesterday- a pair of black cargo shorts and his jersey (he had t-ball last night) After he got dressed, he got all mad, so I asked him what was wrong. He said, I look like an idiot in these clothes! I was astounded, I mean he's six and he's a boy. I honeslty didn't think little boys really cared what they dressed in first of all, second of all, I'm thinking why is such a young child so distubed about how he looks? Then it came to me....someone has been listening too closely to mommy when she's getting dressed. I realy need to start being positive around him as far as body image is concerned, it breaks my heart when kids start focusing on whether they look good enough or not! And I want better for him. You think you've finally got all the parenting answers then all of a sudden something else comes and bites you on the butt! I hate negativity when it comes out of other peoples mouths, so if I want my children to grow up thinking about things positively it's time to practice what I preach!! Why do they only listen to you when they shouldn't be lol!!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, last night I burned my finger and said "*kitten*" and my 19 month old little girl ran around the house saying "*kitten*" all night long. :indifferent: I kept saying 'Yes baby, sit. SIT!" so she would think I said sit instead of shyt!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean my son is almost six and skinny as a rail always has been and my 2 year old is chubby, my son always says things like "i eat these things so i dont get fat" or "savannah eats too much" i explain to him its ok for his baby sister to be chubby because she is a baby and then he says "well mommy your chubby" he is such a sweet kid and doesnt mean to hurt anyones feelings but trying to teach him its ok to be who you are is hard when im working so hard to change myself ya know.

i think he gets it and then he will say or do something that blows me away so i know exactly what your sayin its tough they hear things and see things you dont think they are even paying attention to
  • arlene0705
    Options
    44233.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter