alcohol is my weakness!

Options
I have been counting calories for 4 weeks and have lost 9 lbs. But I feel like I probably would have had more success if I didn't drink. Although I definitely cut back on drinking, and choose lighter beverages, such as white wine or vodka sodas, I'm sure it still sends me over my calorie limit on the weekends. I am only a social drinker, but I am 23 and all my friends like to party!

I definitely can't resist the occassional beer, because beer is by far my favorite beverage, and not light coors/bud/heiniken type beers, but thick, heavy, hoppy IPA's and Pale ales, which probably amount to over 400 calories per pint. Its almost as bad as ice cream!

However, one thing I can say about my success is that "everything in moderation" is the motto. I do not deny myself anything, but I limit it. Pizza, chocolate, beer are weekly treats. The answer for my dilemma is portion control. I feel like I wouldn't have had any success if I deprived myself of anything I loved, including alcohol. Why? Because I can only do whats realisitic.
Anything more, and I give up.

Replies

• furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yup it's true, and unlike "no limits" food it's not something I am ok with giving up. Thing that works for me is if I know I'm going to have a couple drinks I'll do a double cardio workout at the gym that day (500 cals+, 1 hour). Then even with food and drink I always seem to make it for the day! Strength training also keeps your metabolism up.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    Thats a good point, I don't do enough strengh training. The only thing I lift weights for is my triceps. Wing prevention! hahah
  • jedday
    jedday Posts: 119
    Options
    Yeah i like to have a beer or too. I have tried the diet coke and rum thing and the other drinks. It is a weakness but that is what the gym is for right. just to check you should not use the treadmill and drink a beer right? Should i stop that lol?
  • imbwy420
    Options
    I feel the same way about alcohol. My social gatherings with friends tend to revolve around it on a regular basis - at least a few times a week! There are the hockey games, the house parties, the bar outings... even if I've eaten well all day, sometimes I'm knocking back anywhere from 3-6 beers on top of that, which pretty much ruins the calorie count! I've given up the really tasty favorites (the heavy beers) and opted for Michelob Ultra just to have the taste of beer around... but it still doesn't help my calorie goals, nonetheless. We'd better start sipping, or pick one day during the week for alchohol (that'll bring your tolerance down too, and as a result you'll be drinking less AND ingesting less calories!). Good luck!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Crap. I'm NOT supposed to work out with a drink in my hand? Are you sure? I've been doing this all wrong...

Haha. I agree--I can give up alot of things, but there's making healthy lifestyle changes and then there's unreasonable.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like a beer every once in a while. Ya just have to log it if ya consume it.

An IPA (good choice!) has 170 calories for a 12 oz glass. Most of the beers are in the food guide.

Just log it, keep your number sin check and, you'll do fine.
  • Jalaclipse06
    Options
    I prolly drink around 4 times a week and it doesn't help that my drink of choice is cranberry vodkas. I guess the only thing to take account is that dancing counts to burning calories. My weight loss is hurting too because of that excess sugar not being burnt off before I go to bed.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Let me give you some advice... Carbs (aka Booze) are GREAT after a hard core 40 min of cardio and full strength training workout because your body is grabbing for energy EVERYWHERE to repair those muscles...

If you're gonna do it... do it after a NASTY workout...

It won't hurt much.

:D
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking through out my entire weight loss journey. I have made some changes, like you mentioned not drinking beer, I've been drinking diet coke and rum. I used to drink both Friday and Saturday night, and now I've changed it to only once a weekend.

And remember to exercise! If your going to drink that night than make it a priority to get to the gym and burn some cals to earn those drinks.
  • queenie110
    Options
    i just decided to go back to counting calories! i did it a year ago and lost about 15 pounds.. I gained half of that back, but i've been stuck at the same weight for 6 months. i have changed my diet, and i do try to exercise (although it's winter.. and i love riding my bike and hiking.. so i've been slacking a bit...) BUT i think it is my drinking habit that is keeping me from moving the scale. I'm not a heavy drinker, but i do enjoy unwinding with a couple beers or some wine. I'm hoping that keeping track of what i'm drinking will help. we'll see. good luck to everyone!
  • IreneAdler
    Options
    There is no way I'm giving up white wine, especially after a stressful day, or before dinner with friends. I keep a measuring cup next to the wine glasses and very carefully measure out my 5 ounces of wine (wine glass sizes can be deceiving). I only allow it when I have the calories to spare. I'm trying to limit my self to once during the week and maybe twice on the weekend, and never more than one glass per day. And I'm learning to sip very slowly. ;)
  • queenie110
    Options
    lol my wine glasses are HUGE... maybe i should start with that?
  • IreneAdler
    Options
    Yes! Measure your wine! I have a handblown extra large wine glass that can hold up to 14 ounces of wine. Which I do not use anymore. Unless it is a REALLY bad day.
  • safetypins
    Options
    I'm 22. Alcohol runs in my blood.

Okay not really, but I've cut down to one night a week!
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, sundinsgirl! and congrats on your success, you look great!!!!!!! Very inspiring. :smile: