• spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I was at one point.

Not anymore ~ no pool access :frown:
  • mlet23
    mlet23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I actually just started getting back into swimming seriously. Makes me feel so much better than running etc as I have arthritis is one of my knees :)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I swim a few times a week but I'm not a hardcore racer or anything... I love swimming... I love low-impact cardio period.
  • safetypins
    Options
    I coach masters swimmers and high school waterpolo... I'm looking for people to share workouts and stuff with :)

Any of you interested? What do you usually do when you swim?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I do laps. I try to count them but I always lose track. I usually try to do 30 min to an hr. Just a modified lazy girl back stroke and/or regular breast stroke.

Do you know any good sites where I can learn the actual moves? I just copy people around me than loaf in the hot tub.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I'm another former swimmer - now the thought of swimming in public ... not so much :wink: but it *is* a great workout!!
  • safetypins
    Options
    I do laps. I try to count them but I always lose track. I usually try to do 30 min to an hr. Just a modified lazy girl back stroke and/or regular breast stroke.

Do you know any good sites where I can learn the actual moves? I just copy people around me than loaf in the hot tub.

Youtube has some great how to's. I send them to the adults I coach. Especially natalie coughlin's videos.

A good way to keep track of how much you're doing is to break your workout into sets. Instead of just getting in and swimming, swim 50, 100, 200 yards at a time. Otherwise, I lose count too.
  • mlet23
    Options
    I normally start off with 100m slow freestyle as a warm up. Stop for 20-30 seconds then do 200m of freestyle, breaststroke or backstroke and from there I just start to swim whatever strokes I like trying to take as few rests as I can manage and swim all up for about 45mins-1hr. I think I need to get a bit more structure into my swimming now that I have started to get used to it again
  • 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    Options
    yup i swim and i am gunna start soon as a swimmer instructor...love it!
  • safetypins
    Options
    I normally start off with 100m slow freestyle as a warm up. Stop for 20-30 seconds then do 200m of freestyle, breaststroke or backstroke and from there I just start to swim whatever strokes I like trying to take as few rests as I can manage and swim all up for about 45mins-1hr. I think I need to get a bit more structure into my swimming now that I have started to get used to it again

Structure is the only thing that keeps my adults and my high school girls interested.

I write swim sets 3 times a week for work, so if anyone wants them, just ask.
  • mlet23
    Options
    I wouldn't mind taking a look at some of them if you are willing to share
  • safetypins
    Options
    I wouldn't mind taking a look at some of them if you are willing to share

If you shoot me your email address I can add you to my masters contacts. I send them their work outs the night before in case they can't make it to my class.
  • safetypins
    Options
    Like, this is theirs (and mine) for tomorrow:

200 warm up

4 x 50 drill/ swim
    4 x 100 kick odd's are free/breast, evens are back/ butterfly(front or back)

12 x 50 every 3rd is non free 1:10
    4 x 200 choice/ free, work on stroke counts, 3:45

1 x 25 choice easy
    1 x 75 backstroke, working on turns and stroke count from flag, descend 1:15
    2 x 50 pull, breast and free
    3 x 100 3, 5, 7, 9
    2 x 50 pull, Back and free
    1 x 75 free, descend 1:05
    1 x 25 choice easy

200 cool down!
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I swim 3 times a week. My work out such as it is to swim as far as I can in a limited amount of time. Right now I'm swimming 100 laps in about 45 minutes.
  • ckeil
    ckeil Posts: 4
    Options
    I swam today but am also getting back into it. I swim in a metered pool so 1500 is a good stopping point for me. What I did (which is too little for you and your group) is:

200 free warm-up
    24X50 (one back kick, one backstroke, one breast kick, one breast, one free kick, one free) and repeat it 4 times -- I love to kick!
    100 cool down

Comes out exactly a mile.

I did swim masters when I was in my 30s. I plan to get back into it after getting in better shape.
  • ckeil
    ckeil Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow that's great!
  • vzepol
    Options
    1500 meters is terrific. I have been looking for a masters program so I can turn my laps into a workout.
  • 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    Options
    lol u guys are way too up there for me.....im a bit of a plodder actually (takes me about 1hour to do 1600-1800 metres) but am keen to know how to speed the time up any ideas helpful...got the knowledge just gotta speed it up.:bigsmile:
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was in highschool. And here at school they are fixing the indoor pool, so as soon as it's up and going, I'm back in! Tho I bet my old swim team suit doesn't fit any more!
  • vzepol
    Options
    1500 - 1800 meters is a great workout. I mix building speed with endurance. I time my laps, when I go up in distance by 10 laps I start working on speed at that plateau. For example I am swimming 100 laps in 47 minutes, I now for the next week work on reducing the time for the laps by 2 - 5 minutes. When I reach the new pace I add another 10 laps. May not be the best method but it works for me.