100 push ups / 200 sit ups / 200 sit ups

backinthenines
backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
After the various threads that have started I looked at the programme...

It just strikes me that 100 good push ups on your toes are a lot harder than 200 sit ups or squats...

I could knock out 200 squats and sit ups now at the snip of a finger if I had to but 100 push-ups are a bit of a different story?

Replies

• jedday
    jedday Posts: 119
    Well yeah lol i would have to say a lot harder however i probably am the opposite i could do the push ups not the sit ups
  • Yeah, I can't even do one push up. xD

It works different muscles, but I vaguely remember my gym teacher saying to do something with your core.

Also, don't hesitate to build up your strength with girly push ups. that's what I'm doing ATM to build up strength.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    I started the 100 push-ups program a few weeks ago, and failed miserably! I plan on trying again but not until I give myself a head start by losing quite a few lbs. It's definitely harder than doing a much higher number of sit ups.
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    I'm doing the "modified" (girly, as someone said :laugh: ) push ups for the challenge; I can only do 1-2 normal ones, and I do something weird to my neck when I do them.

I'm thinking maybe I can manage 100 of the modified ones, and then when I'm done I can restart on "real" ones!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    I was just surprised when I looked at their website that they seem to suggest that 100 push ups / 200 squats / 200 situps are kind of equivalent... althought you're of course not comparing like with like.

Push ups target a much smaller muscle group than squats, so you'll fatigue much quicker.

But my first thought was "200 bodyweight squats are easy" whereas 100 proper push ups are friggin far from easy! :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.