net calories

Options
I bet this is a common question, but I just re-started myself on MFP a few weeks ago. I am confused about the "net calories". I know the importance of eating my 1200 calories, but my question is regarding the "extra" calories that I earn from exercise. Do I need to eat those additional calories?

My BMR is calculated at 1282 cals based on my height and weight. If I eat 1200 cals, I am creating a calorie deficit. So, if I exercise, I would think that I was creating a larger calorie deficit, am I not?

But, I just ran a "net calories" report and found that I am not reaching 1200 calories on a consistent basis, although my total calories are at least 1200 and above.

So, what do you think? Do I have to eat my exercise calories? Or is it ok to focus on my 1200 calorie goal?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I never do, but there are many on this site who will argue with me. I only burn 300-400 calories a day per my HRM. The program I am on specificially tells me how to deal with all this.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    your deficit is not between 1200 and your BMR it is between 1200 and your maintenance calories which can be quite a bit higher than BMR. That being said since your BMR is quite low you could probably get away with 1000 or so net calories 1000 plus exercise calories.

MFP will not let you go below 1200, unless you do custom goal, and it adds back your exercise calories as at 1200 you are set up to lose your goal amount of weight per week. To keep your deficit at the goal level MFP adds back the exercise calories as those are the cals you need to meet you goal.
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    OK, I feel a bit better about it now.

I can't find it now, but I think I saw that my maintenance calories were around 1600 cals, so I feel that I have a fairly small window to play with here. I have been dieting for some time, but only recently did I start getting serious with exercise. That said, diet alone was not allowing me to lose the weight, and history has proven to me that I have never lost weight without the combo of diet and exercise.

I would have difficulty dropping my diet below 1200. I feel that I already have enough trouble satisfying my appetite on 1200 cals, so there are days that I do sometimes end up with 1300-1400 cals. But, those are generally days that I am exercising, too.
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just verified, my maintenance is 1620 cals. Is that based on what I entered for my activity level in the set-up? If I changed that to a more active setting, would it change my maintenance #?

Not that I want to, but just curious about it. I have a desk job, so I am generally sedentary, until I am done with work. Then, I don't get to sit down until I go to bed, taking care of the kids, housework, and my exercise regimen.
  • acmato
    acmato Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    how close should my total calories be to my required calories