Help with grocery list

Options
Okay, I need tips on lowering my sodium. What do you buy to help? I'm making my grocery list.

Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I would try to avoid pre-packaged and processed stuff---those tend to have a lot of sodium. Stick with whole foods and fresh produce and try to season them yourself using salt-free options like herbs and spices (I use garlic and onion powder in place of salt on most things).
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    It's best to stick with the outer aisles of the grocery store where the fresh meat, dairy, fruits and vegetables are at.

These foods are natural, so there are no preservatives (which means low sodium).

Leave the frozen, boxed and packaged foods sitting on the shelf!!!
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    use ms dash no sodium to season everything...it works i have lost 10lbs and lowered my sodium intake
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with all the above tips thus far. They are awesome tips!
  • pldmi
    pldmi Posts: 9
    Options
    If you have to use salt for something I use Salt Sense. It has less sodium than regular sodium and it taste just like regular salt. I know sometimes its hard not to have salt on somethings and this is a nice way to cut back at least.
  • james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    Chicken Breast
    93/7 Ground Beef
    Brown Rice
    Whole Grain Pasta
    Spaghetti sauce
    Natural PB
    Frozen Veggies
    Sweet potatoes
    Whole Grain Bread
  • SillySarah
    Options
    I'd start by avoiding the package food items as well. Many processed foods are loaded with extra salt, sugar, and other additives.

The best rule of thumb when grocery shopping to avoid processed food is to shop mainly from the perimeter of the store. Avoid the center isles as much as possible.

Fill your cart up with fruits and vegetables (both fresh and frozen), lean cuts of meats, as well as low fat dairy and eggs. If you do buy frozen veg and fruit, check to see if salt or sugar is included in the ingredients list. Not every brand will add salt and sugar to their products though. Then move to the center isle to shop for things like spices, oils, baking supplies and other dry goods (like beans, nuts, whole grains, coffee, etc).

Also, always read the product ingredients list. The greater number of ingredients listed on the side of the package is a good indicator that the food is heavily processed. And keep in mind that just because a product is name brand doesn't automatically mean that it's the healthiest choice. Some generic brand products are actually more nutritious than their name brand counterparts.

It takes a little bit of effort to get used to picking the right foods, but it's totally worth it.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Wow..thank you all for the good advice. I will definitely avoid the center aisles as much as possible.
  • ajax03
    ajax03 Posts: 96
    Options
    use ms dash no sodium to season everything...it works i have lost 10lbs and lowered my sodium intake

I agree! Mrs. Dash also has a variety of seasoning flavors that you can use to spice up any dish. Original blend (salt-free) I use on almost everything :~)