how much sugar to consume per day?

Options
2»

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    If you're otherwise healthy there is no reason to waste time counting sugar. Eat as much as you like so long as you hit your calorie, fiber and macronutrient targets while still getting sufficient micronutrients.

ETA: As for processed vs. unprocessed sugars, ignore the false dichotomy. It's all broken down by your digestive system and your body doesn't distinguish. The focus on fruit and veggies is that these also provide some fiber and micronutrients. At the end of the day though so long as you are giving your body what it needs it doesn't matter how.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    an apple has 19 grams of sugar. So, i am a bit confused.

Me too! I want to consume less sugars too, but it's everywhere... all the fruit I love, carrots, protein/fiber bars. etc... Can someone clarify?

Yeah...manage you macro-nutrients and stop trying to micromanage your micro-nutrients. I'm pretty sure the obesity pandemic is not due to an apple a day or eating too many carrots. Yes, processed foods like you protein bars are going to have added sugar...many of them have a lot of added sugar...but you don't lose or gain weight simply because of sugar. It will make otherwise small portions of things rather calorie dense though.
  • franlareau
    Options
    I was concerned about the fact that fruit shot up my sugar for the day and asked my nutritionist about it. She said just ignore the fruit sugar grams because fruit has other things that I need. She said to use it for sweets and foods with added sugar like chinese sauces etc. Teaching myself to use less sugar in my coffee.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I only track Protein, Carbs, and Fats and my Calories beyond that I keep an eye on fiber but that is it.... Best of Luck