Bicycling?

Options
What kind of bikes are you guys using for exercise? Cruising bike, Mountain bike or a Road bike? What do you think is the best for exercising?

Replies

• country
    country Posts: 57
    Options
    What kind of bikes are you guys using for exercise? Cruising bike, Mountain bike or a Road bike? What do you think is the best for exercising?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I use a Hybrid 21 speed but am hoping to get a road bike in a month or so.
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I use both, depends on what I'm doing. I have a road bike mainly for my races. But, the mountain bikes are great for exercise because they are a little bit heavier and a little bit tougher to ride. Both will give you a great workout. Whatever you are comfortable with
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I don't race but I do ride alot. I just bought a Trek 7.2 FX. LOVE IT! Go to your local bike shop...not a big chain, but a bike shop. Tell them what you want a bike for. They are pros and will hook you up with what you need. You may pay a little more than what you would pay at a big chain, but you are getting a custom fit for you needs and build and you are also supporting your local small business owner, who has to really fight to stay in business b/c of all the "big" competition.

I am very happy with my bike. I am so glad that I listened to my husband and spent the few extra dollars and got a bike from someone who knows what they are doing.
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have ridden a mountain bike for a couple of years and I bought a road bike last year. I have to tell you, I don't know if it makes me lose more weight or not, but I absolutely love my road bike. I have ridden in the MS 150 and the ADA 150 and I am now the president of a bike club called Cycle Mission. It has become a passion for me.
    I do know that if I did not enjoy riding the bike, whatever kind it is, I would not ride it and therefore would not ever lose weight.
    This morning I rode 30 miles between 5:30am and 8:30am and I felt great. It gives me a sense of joy and freedom to travel by bike. Even if I didn't lose a pound (but I will!) it is still just something I love to do. My advise is to find something that frees you have gives you joy and then let that propel you to your goals. - Wow, did I say that? That was good, I might have to use that again! I ride a road bike, Lemond. Versaille.
    All the best! :happy:
  • akrahmer
    akrahmer Posts: 15
    Options
    I bought, about a month ago, a Fuji Crosstown 3.0 step-through (women's) bike. I ride about 6.5 miles to and from work (so around 13 or 14 for the whole commute) on the days I ride. The Crosstown is a hybrid that is closer to a road bike, but your sitting position is more straight up and down. I have to say, it's extremely comfortable to ride both on- and off-road. The only thing I hate about it is riding against the wind because, in that position, it makes riding very difficult and slow-going. (But better exercise!) But it's very comfortable.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about picking up cycling (have far-far-far off dreams of one day attempting a Triathlon...crazy). Anyways, I just have a standard, no-frills Schwinn mountain bike (at least in my novice opinon it looks like a mountain bike, lol!)

My question - do you need to have a top-of-the-line, bells-and-whistles gizmo to be a decent cycler? I'm just amazed at the amount of money some of these bikes cost ($1,200?? My first car cost less! :laugh: )

Can you find good stuff used - like on Craigs List - or is this something that needs to be "fitted" to your body?

Thanks!
    Clueless in Bikeville...
  • country
    country Posts: 57
    Options
    Thank you all for the info. I have been doing a lot of hiking and water jogging and I would like to incorporate bicycling into my regime. I think I will probably start off with a pretty reasonable priced bike so I can try out what style I am interested in first. I would like to use the bike on paved roads and dirt roads so I think a mountain bike may be better suited for me but I am still on the fence.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the info. I have been doing a lot of hiking and water jogging and I would like to incorporate bicycling into my regime. I think I will probably start off with a pretty reasonable priced bike so I can try out what style I am interested in first. I would like to use the bike on paved roads and dirt roads so I think a mountain bike may be better suited for me but I am still on the fence.

Get a Hybrid--that's what I've got. It's part mountain bike/part road bike. Wide tires but not mountain bike wide; good shocks but not heavy ones; and gears like a road bike.

I got mine, a Raleigh, from a bike shop for under $400 brand new about 3 years ago.

The first 3 years, I put 90 miles on it--the last 10 weeks, I've put close to 400 miles on it!!!
  • AnisM
    AnisM Posts: 4
    Options
    A road bike is best but I am currently using a hybrid with road bike tires. We have found some great deals on bikes using craigslist...