Any Fishermen/Fisherwomen/Kayakers out there?

Options
Hey All

I'm sort of new to this site and am looking for ways to make it more interesting for me to log in, stay on track and to meet my goals. My favorite pastime and my favorite, non-weight related forum, is about fishing, especially salt-water fly fishing.

I'm over 40 and have non-jogging knees, as many of us over 40 deal with. I'm realizing that weight loss and management is going to have to become an agreeable, long-term, life style and that it's going to be a big challenge to get to that point. But no excuses allowed, has to be done.

Any fishy foks want to muddle through this process together? After all, fishermen are the most optimistic people I know!

I'm in Southwest Florida, where are you?

Tight Lines

Marie

Replies

• KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Marie, another over-40 kayaker here! I'm not much of a fisherwoman, but I do lots of lake, river, creek kayaking in TN. I'd love to follow any posts about kayak adventures or places to paddle in Florida.

Angie
  • james_oyster
    Options
    Hi Angie

Like you, I am now addicted to Sea Kayaking. Somewhat new to me (dec 10) but gives me a good excuse to get out and relax as well as buy gadgets.

Try to get out 4-5 times per week and cover around 80km. So far I have stayed injury free and my old sporting injuries from days gone bye are much improved.

Early days on the myfitnesspal path but finding great to be able to keep track of my paddling as well as food.

Keep up the padling and remember to keep the twist going.

James
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Marie, another over-40 kayaker here! I'm not much of a fisherwoman, but I do lots of lake, river, creek kayaking in TN. I'd love to follow any posts about kayak adventures or places to paddle in Florida.

Angie

Love to lake, river, creek kayak as well. I live in North Alabama and we go all over to kayak!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Over 40 and got into kayaking last summer on a family vacation. I took a couple of beginner classes, and really love it so far. I'm looking forward to going out for some kayaking this summer.
  • Riotactor10
    Riotactor10 Posts: 37
    Options
    I just kayak'ed for the first time this past Sunday and it was amazing. It worked out nicely this time as there were no boats on the lake (still a bit early in the season up this way) and so I was able to learn without dodging boats :)

It was a great workout and a lot of fun - looking forward to going back out.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Cool!!! Look at all the kayakers out there! It is really addictive. I took my first lesson in June 2010, joined a local paddling group, and now I paddle 2 or 3 times a week, and in June 2011, I'm going on a 9 day kayaking trip on the French Broad in North Carolina, about 120 miles total. I have a schedule of rewards at certain levels of weight loss, and some of the rewards are a new paddle, new water shoes, and a wetsuit so I can go ALL year long! The excellent calorie burn is just a bonus - love it! :happy: