Yoga

XLMKX
XLMKX Posts: 86
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Is Yoga any good for weight loss?

I know it is good for flexibility but I don't know whether to start it or not.

Replies

• fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Yoga helps you tone. There's a lot of stretching and holding poses. But for me, the benefits are really that it feels good and relaxes me. It helps calm my mind. I think Yoga is great for a healthy lifestyle.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Umm... its not as good as an hour on the treadmill, but it feels great and makes your body stronger. I find that it helps you love your body and want to treat it properly.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    I love it on my "alternate days". I often do yoga on the days in between my strength training, it is very good for the body and soul. Feels relaxing but you still get a good sweat going.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    I agree! Yoga may not be great for weight loss in the exercise itself but the lifestyle teaches the use of whole foods and proper posture and breathing techniques. When you are practicing yoga on a daily basis it changes your mind set and tends to naturally lead you ( mind and body) towards healthier choices and you honestly just don't want to eat crap:)
  • swhisson
    swhisson Posts: 8 Member
    Try Bikram yoga - it is great for flexibility and relaxation, but also burns about 1000 calories per class (90 minutes)!! If you can handle being in 104 degrees for 90 minutes, you can definitely lose weight doing this type of yoga!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Yoga helps strengthen, tone, and lengthen muscles, which does help burn calories, but the best benefit is learning self control. Yoga helps me feel great about myself, and it is effective at calming me down (I have anxiety and breathing problems). The way it makes you feel will help you want to eat smaller portions of that treat, or maybe not even have one at all. Why? Because you won't even need it, or want it. :)
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Just my thoughts....

Yoga itself will not burn a ton of calories, but Yoga might keep you in the game. My typical week is 3 days of Cross Fit, 2 days of Zumba (both done after work) and 5 days of what I call Cardio-Yoga Bliss. I like to get up early in the mornings, make a cup of tea, light a candle and then jump on my elliptical. I do 20 minutes of easy cardio, I don't go all out - it's 5:30 in the morning and I am just trying to warm-up. I watch music videos and read a magazine (guilty pleasures). My goal is to burn at least 100 calories not to exhaust myself. Then I switch to my yoga mat and a 20 minute dvd. I aim for lengthening, flexibility and relaxation. I end up burning around 175-225 calories total and feel amazingly prepared, calm and centered for my day. Bonus: the extra calories I burned from my blissful morning usually equate to my morning snack calories. Not a huge difference, but one that I am very happy with!

I find that yoga is the perfect balance to hardcore workouts and helps to stretch my tight muscles...bonus!!!

:smile:
  • XLMKX
    XLMKX Posts: 86
    @shanolap - I was thinking of doing it inbetween the days I do Tae Bo to keep me flexible and to make the Tae Bo movements easier.

xx
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    @shanolap - I was thinking of doing it inbetween the days I do Tae Bo to keep me flexible and to make the Tae Bo movements easier.

xx

That's a fantastic idea. I suggest getting into the whole mindset of Yoga as others have said here. It's more than just poses :)
    I truly enjoy the ritual of my Morning Yoga Bliss as much as the actual workout. I do the cardio before to warm-up my muscles and joints for the poses. I strongly recommend any yoga dvd by Rodney Yee (Netflix is a great place to start!) but start with beginner dvd's and you may want to watch one through the workout before practicing.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    unless you do bikram or moksha yoga which is more intense than any other work out i have ever had.

general yoga is perfect to pair with regular workouts. it feels good, it gives you better tone, and improves circulation and flexibility/
This discussion has been closed.