zumba calories

Options
2»

Replies

• mama_mia3
    Options
    I would think entering "Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist " from the MFP cardio selections that that would come pretty close? For my weight and for 60 minutes it says I'd burn 530, but I don't know. I haven't tried zumba... would some day like to though. My friend does it and loves it.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Without a HRM I was using the hi impact aerobics, but after the HRM I found I was burning more, but not what the Zumba adverts claim. I can burn up to "running" amount of calories. I'm 5'2" and 144# right now, and depending on the intensity and the day I will burn 400-700 calories.
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    WOW thanks for all your info. I recently got a watch that calculates heart rate and pedometer/calories burned etc. Ill try that in my next class and see!
  • ZumbaTriad
    ZumbaTriad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Based on people that have taken my class and wear a HRM, I've never had anyone burn less than 450. I used to use 500 calories as my basic Zumba burn but just recently started back wearing my BodyBugg and realized it's actually 650-750 per class most days! Woot woot!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    A HRM is your best bet for getting more accurate calories burned. I found that Your Shape was underestimating my calories burned by nearly 50%, and various other exercise I was doing wasn't all that accurate according to MFP and other online calculations. For best results with your HRM, get one with a chest strap - that will be more accurate than a watch-only option.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Lots of people here keep saying they enter it as 'high impact' aerobics, but I don't think that's right. 'Low impact' would be more accurate, since the majority of the time at least one foot is on the ground while you're doing Zumba... unless it's some kind of crazy zumba/jump rope hybrid class. :laugh:

This is according to the Aerobic Fitness Instructors Association definition of high/low impact aerobics. Samba, cha-cha, etc. would all be low impact forms of aerobic activity. Jump rope, jogging in place, jumping jacks, etc. would be examples of high impact.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that you need a HRM to know what YOU burn. Myself I burn 600-700 on average in 1 hour of zumba.
  • justin_time
    Options
    the most accurate way is to use a HRM, however for a quick easy to use tool based on metabolic averages using your weight and workout intensity level try http://sites.google.com/site/zumbacaloriesburnt
  • justin_time
    Options
    Take a look at http://www.zumbacalories.com enter your weight, workout duration & intensity and it will calculate how many calories you have burned based on average metabolic rates