Yoga for strengthening?

sweetheart03622
sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm starting up a training program for a 5K and then proceeding on to a half marathon at the end of the summer. I'm using one of the training programs from Hal Hidgon and I'm supposed to have a day of "stretching and strengthening". I was thinking of doing a one-hour yoga DVD that I have. I know that yoga is great for stretching, but will it help with the strengthening? I'm still going to do at least one other strengthening session at the gym on the machines and with free weights. I'm constantly stressed and I feel that doing an hour of yoga could help with that a bit. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I use a yoga workout as one of my cross training session in my marathon training program. I too do additional strength training on my other cross training day. I like yoga and think it is great to incorporate into an overall workoug plan, as it does seem to strengthen some. But I don't rely on it as my sole strength building or maintaining exercise. I think the plan you are on makes sense.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Yoga has really helped me with my running and I've also noticed a significant increase in my back/shoulder muscles. If you do the chaturanga properly, this will strengthen your tricpets and back as well as your core. I defiantly think yoga is a great addition to any fitness program because of its relaxing and strengthening benefits! I try to attend a gym class once a week but I also do P90X yoga sometimes.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    yoga is amazing and it goes hand in hand with running. it has so many beneficial postures for your knees and your hips. I think anyone who does any running should be doing yoga.
    Dvd is ok, but I would highly suggest taking a class once in a while. It is hard to get the postures correct and it is really important to have a proper teacher to avoid doing things wrong.
This discussion has been closed.